Alecia

Personal Protection Order and I 751

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello, I'm new here.  My spouse and I are in the process of filing for removal of conditions.  Our relationship at times has been stormy, but looking back the majority of the time has been good and I care for him very much.  That being said there was, unfortunately, a dark time in our lives and I filed for a PPO and it was granted.  The police had come to the house and asked us to calm down and think things over.  I dropped charges, so there is no record other than they were at the home.  Later the argument continued an that's when I went to the courthouse and filed for a restraining order, which was granted.  He did move out of the home and let USCIS now that he had moved.  At the hearing, I terminated the PPO and we went to counseling (which was short-lived).  All total, we lived separately from one another for approximately a month.  Upon moving back home, he informed USCIS about the change of address again.  Again, it was a bad time in our lives, but there have been no major conflicts now for a year.

My question is, do I need to check yes on page 2, part 1, question 20?  I spoke to several lawyers who offered free consultation calls and they all have conflicting views.  One said it was a civil offense so no need, another said I do not need to check yes, but I do need to inform there was an address change, another said there could be complications, and another said that it would show up in a database when biometrics were performed but they suggested not mentioning the address change.  This is an embarrassing topic and one I wish never happened, but did.  I believe my marriage can be good, so I'm continuing on my journey, but need advice from those in the form.  Thank you for any advice you may give.

Filed: Timeline

Ok so HE fills out page 2 part 1 question 20 (not you). Was he arrested? You say you 'dropped charges' which implies that charges were filed and he was arrested. If he was arrested or otherwise charged then you need to follow the instructions and submit proof that he was arrested and subsequent charges were dropped. If he was not arrested nor charged then a PPO is not considered a criminal offense however it will be found out about from biometrics so you should get any paperwork you have on it ready and review it as well as proof there was no arrest or charges EVER filed if there wasnt. 

Im not sure why you are asking about the address changes? It seems he did notify them of address changes as it happened so Im not sure why you are asking this part?

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Villanelle said:

If he was not arrested nor charged then a PPO is not considered a criminal offense however it will be found out about from biometrics so you should get any paperwork you have on it ready and review it as well as proof there was no arrest or charges EVER filed if there wasnt. 

Hello, similar case to mine.  How does one prove no charges were filed?  I will be applying for citizenship and had a retraining order against me terminated, never arrested, the order to modify or terminate stated that it was no longer needed.  Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.