moniker

Mental Health problems.. Is it an issue and reason to be rejected for immigration to US?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I don't really know where to put this so thanks for moving it to where it's appropriate somehow

I've been really struggling with my mental health and I've been wanting to get help since after a year I graduated highschool (back in 2011)

I've been on and off college (currently off again for 2 years), been struggling in my studies and developed chronic migraine and fatigue from insomnia for the last 8 years. It got worse each year. I feel my brain and body deteriorates

I can't really self diagnose myself to what I specifically suffer from but I can only guess from my own research they might be commonly known as anxiety and depression

I've consulted in various private clinics and a neurologist, along with some testings.. physically they didn't find anything wrong with me

I wanted to get checked and be diagnosed properly along with some MRI testing for my brain. I've been hypochondriac of having fatal diseases since as long as I can remember but I felt more anxious and terrified when I went deep with mental problems

I asked my mother numerous times and begged for years but I only found out why she keeps refusing... Its is also because she's afraid of I'd be rejected for immigration to US

We're in F4 Category (Brother and Sister petition, my uncle in US petitioned my mother and family including me)

He petitioned her when I was 3 (1996) and I'm already 25 (in which case I'm over 21 but still somehow approved for interview?)

Anyway, I don't know but is it gonna be an issue if I have medical records when I went to a psychiatrist/psychologist and her refusal to have me not get help is the right thing to do for now when it comes to immigration process?

I mean, if it was taken care off earlier/years ago, would it still be a problem since I have medical records of my treatment?

She only wants me to get help when we get there in US

I apologize if I don't make sense, please do ask if I need to clarify things

I don't really know how to explain it well and comprehensible enough when I summarized it as much as possible

Thanks for the time and help for informing me

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline

AdmissibilityPart B – Health-Related Grounds of Inadmissibility

Chapter 7 – Physical or Mental Disorder with Associated Harmful Behavior

A.  Physical or Mental Disorders with Associated Harmful Behavior [1] 

Applicants who have physical or mental disorders and harmful behavior associated with those disorders are inadmissible. [2] The inadmissibility ground is divided into two subcategories:

Current physical or mental disorders, with associated harmful behavior

Past physical or mental disorders, with associated harmful behavior that is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter7.html

Feom what you wrote, you have mental disorders however I do not see the key part i.e. associated harmful behavior.

I think you should be fine for immigration purposes however ultimately it’s your civil surgeon and your interviewing officer who will determine.

I wish you well and pray you overcome this challenge.

Edited by HonoraryCitizen

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Seems like you have been a functioning  adult without issues, I am not minimizing your anxiety and depression, but you have survived for several years without an episode of acting out. It took me 20 years to finish my degree, at the time it was not that important, maybe the same with you, I don't know, I am not a professional mental health worker. Seek help as you see fit, if it becomes unbearable for you, seek diagnosis and treatment when you need it, you would not delay treatment for a broken arm pending immigration, your mental health should be at least equally important 

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@HonoraryCitizen: I see. Thank you for the link and your support

@Randyandyuni: I'm afraid of mentioning my acting outs and negative thoughts/feelings since my parents might find this post and it would be also a long one. Unfortunately they are not taking me seriously. No matter how I explain myself or acting outs (bawling and begging to get help) but they're just stuck on what the believe. It is unbearable but I'm trying my hardest day to day. I really have no one to talk to about this personally. I feel helpless and hopeless still but I guess I'm also here to find reasons to get them convinced. I really want to get help where I can completely convince them. Heck, even having two signatures already makes them lash out on me and criticize me for it. Anyways, thanks for reply

Edited by moniker

• 2 weeks later...

Have you found someone you can talk to? Perhaps a clergyman, a close friend, a community mental health agent? Sorry to bug you again, I was just concerned as you seemed so unhappy. Best of luck 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.