DaveNot

Citizenship Interview (couple of questions)

6 posts in this topic

1. My letter states i need proof of selective service registration. I never registered as i was over the age of 26 when entering the states on my k1. Do i need something? I assume not.

2. Some places offer the oath ceremony at the time of the interview. How do i find out if the place i am attending offers this service?

3. I uploaded my application online. The n400 states i should retain and bring all submitted documents to the interview with me. My interview letter suggests a small number of documents to bring. Do i really need to print and find all those submitted documents for my interview?

4. My interview letter states i need to bring my passport and or any other documents for entries i to the usa. Would i need my old flight tickets, k1 visa information, my old esta and such? Or would my passport just be suffice?

5.My parents want to attend the oath ceremony with me as my wife does too, is this possible?

Edited by DaveNot

49 minutes ago, DaveNot said:

1. My letter states i need proof of selective service registration. I never registered as i was over the age of 26 when entering the states on my k1. Do i need something? I assume not.

It's just a boilerplate letter USCIS sends out. You don't need anything regarding the selective service.

51 minutes ago, DaveNot said:

4. My interview letter states i need to bring my passport and or any other documents for entries i to the usa. Would i need my old flight tickets, k1 visa information, my old esta and such? Or would my passport just be suffice?

Just your passport. They want to make sure you still meet the following requirements: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

5 hours ago, accumbyte said:

It's just a boilerplate letter USCIS sends out. You don't need anything regarding the selective service.

So they don't really care about selective service registration at all? Cause I was registered when I turned 18, but the only proof I have would be a recent print out from the selective service website. That's good enough?

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

16 minutes ago, robhostein said:

So they don't really care about selective service registration at all? Cause I was registered when I turned 18, but the only proof I have would be a recent print out from the selective service website. That's good enough?

That was in response to @DaveNot since he never was required to register because of his age. In your case take the recent print out from the website to the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, DaveNot said:

5.My parents want to attend the oath ceremony with me as my wife does too, is this possible?

Normally guests are welcomed---depending on where your ceremony is held, however, there may be a limit as to how many you can invite due to space constraints.  Some oath ceremonies allow photos, some do not (if a judicial ceremony, they may not). Best to call and ask details when you find out where the ceremony is taking place.

13 hours ago, DaveNot said:

2. Some places offer the oath ceremony at the time of the interview. How do i find out if the place i am attending offers this service?

It's seldom, but it does happen.  Normally the IO lets the applicant know during the interview (and after approval) if there is a same-day oath ceremony where they have room to fit you in.  In the cases I've seen reported here, the applicant returns back to the office after a couple hours or so---it's not done on-the-spot immediately.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.