jefferyd

Request to reschedule interview

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I figured I would share my experience with a request to reschedule my naturalization interview as there are a number of horror stories floating around.  I filed October 28 2018, did my biometrics on November 23 and received my interview notification on January 2.  As I had feared, my date, February 6, fell during a cruise I had booked to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday- no way we were going to lose around $5,000 and cancel his birthday for an interview, so despite the warnings I had read I decided to reschedule.  I printed out the letter that had posted to my USCIS account, and though earlier versions of the letter were specific about mailing the original back, this letter said only "if for any reason you can not keep this appointment, return this letter immediately to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office address listed above with your explanation and a request for a new appointment".  Instead of waiting for the original to come in the mail I sent back the copy I printed out with a copy of the confirmation of the cruise and copies of our plane tickets, and a brief letter explaining the situation.  I sent it certified mail with subject "Request to Reschedule N400 Interview" on the outside of the envelope, and it went to the Buffalo field office.  I have to say that my two previous experiences at the Buffalo office were both excellent so I was hopeful for a good result.  It was received on Monday January 7th.  The next morning I got the notification of and action being taken on my case- the tracker app said that on January 7th (the same day they received the request) I had been scheduled for an interview.  Later that evening two letters posted to my account- one saying my original interview had been descheduled, and another saying I had been scheduled for an interview on February 14th, two days after we will return from the cruise. So in all, a painless process which made me feel a whole lot better about our situation.  Of course, caseloads are different at the various offices and YMMV.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck at your upcoming interview!

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 hour ago, jefferyd said:

I figured I would share my experience with a request to reschedule my naturalization interview as there are a number of horror stories floating around.  I filed October 28 2018, did my biometrics on November 23 and received my interview notification on January 2.  As I had feared, my date, February 6, fell during a cruise I had booked to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday- no way we were going to lose around $5,000 and cancel his birthday for an interview, so despite the warnings I had read I decided to reschedule.  I printed out the letter that had posted to my USCIS account, and though earlier versions of the letter were specific about mailing the original back, this letter said only "if for any reason you can not keep this appointment, return this letter immediately to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office address listed above with your explanation and a request for a new appointment".  Instead of waiting for the original to come in the mail I sent back the copy I printed out with a copy of the confirmation of the cruise and copies of our plane tickets, and a brief letter explaining the situation.  I sent it certified mail with subject "Request to Reschedule N400 Interview" on the outside of the envelope, and it went to the Buffalo field office.  I have to say that my two previous experiences at the Buffalo office were both excellent so I was hopeful for a good result.  It was received on Monday January 7th.  The next morning I got the notification of and action being taken on my case- the tracker app said that on January 7th (the same day they received the request) I had been scheduled for an interview.  Later that evening two letters posted to my account- one saying my original interview had been descheduled, and another saying I had been scheduled for an interview on February 14th, two days after we will return from the cruise. So in all, a painless process which made me feel a whole lot better about our situation.  Of course, caseloads are different at the various offices and YMMV.

Great info. Looks like USCIS's automated system is finally starting to work and payoff. Why it took so long, who knows. But let's hope going forward things are as streamlined as your experience.

Cheers!

AOS

03/08/2014 (Day 000) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox including - I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131
05/12/2014 (Day 060) Successful walk-in biometrics completed at Varick ST ASC

05/14/2014 (Day 062) Received text and e-mail notifications that I-485 status updated to "Testing and Interview"

07/25/2014 (Day 135) Went in for interview - was fairly straightforward

08/02/2014 (Day 143) Green Card in hand

ROC

05/24/2016 (Day 000) ROC package sent to VSC

06/24/2016 (Day 031) Early Walk-in biometrics completed

10/06/2016 (Day 135) Got I-551 stamp in passport

05/01/2017 (Day 342) ROC Approved - didn't get notification, hard copy received 05/05? 

05/15/2017 (Day 356) Received 10Y Green Card in Mail

N400

05/24/2017 (Day 000) N400 package sent to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox

06/09/2017 (Day 016) Received biometrics appointment notice for 06/20/2017, Early walk-in on 06/12

11/13/2018 (Day 538) In-line for interview

11/27/2018 (Day 552) Interview scheduled for 01/03/2019

01/03/2019 (Day 589) Interview passed at Federal Plaza and recommended for approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.