PizzaSeoul

California: Looking to change first name after marriage + AOS + EAD + Driver's License

2 posts in this topic

My fiancee and I will be getting married in California, and she'd like to change both her first (she's choosing an English name) and last name (taking my last name).  Additionally, she'd like to apply for an EAD while applying for AOS, and apply for a Driver's License as soon as possible, which requires EAD approval from what I've read.

It appears that a California Marriage License only allows for middle/last name changes, and a first name change will require a separate name change petition when all is said and done (?). So I was hoping to confirm the following steps that need to be taken.  Note: She already has a SSN from when she was a student.  Are the following steps correct?  Is there a quicker or more optimal way to go about these steps?

1) Get married and she takes my last name.  Marriage license shows her original first name + my last name.

2) File for AOS + EAD using her first name + my last name.

3) Go to Social Security Office and show marriage license as proof to have her last name updated.

4) As an aside, assuming her Social Security information is updated to have my last name, can I now add her as an authorized user using her SSN, first name + my last name, her passport for government issued ID, and marriage certificate as proof of her name change?

5) Receive EAD

6) Pass drivers exams and apply for Driver's License using her first name + my last name, showing EAD, passport, and marriage license as identification

7) Receive green card

And now, to change her first name:

1) Apply for name change petition

2) Once approved, contact Social Security Office and change name again

3) Follow the steps here to get an updated Driver's License

4) Update banks, credit cards, etc. with new name

5) Finally finished?

Also, at this point is it going to be difficult for her to travel as her passport will have a different First and Last names? (her old first name will be her new middle name, FWIW).

Any feedback would be appreciated, this is all a little confusing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.