Chengher913

Help marrying a vietnamese hmong women

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm a us citizen and I am trying to marry my girlfriend who is a hmong vietnamese. Everyone that I met is saying that it is impossible to marry a hmong vietnamese because the government wont allow hmong citizens to leave the country due the fact that they were involved in helping out the American side of the war. I also heard that in order to sponser a vietnamese citizen you will need a large amount of money in your personal bank account. Roughly around 15 to 20 grand. Can anybody give me some insight on this.

1 hour ago, Chengher913 said:

Everyone that I met is saying that it is impossible to marry a hmong vietnamese because the government wont allow hmong citizens to leave the country due the fact that they were involved in helping out the American side of the war.

Can she get a Vietnamese passport? If yes, then there are options. If marriage in Vietnam is difficult, then getting a K-1 visa in order to marry in the US is the straightforward path. Concerning leaving Vietnam, she can try a land crossing into Laos and then fly out from Laos (you should research if this a more viable option).

1 hour ago, Chengher913 said:

I also heard that in order to sponser a vietnamese citizen you will need a large amount of money in your personal bank account. Roughly around 15 to 20 grand. Can anybody give me some insight on this.

Assets can be used. But most sponsors show their current income for both the K-1 and AOS. Here is the income info for AOS (AOS is done after marrying in the US): https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p If you don't meet the requirements then you can try a joint sponsor (sponsors must be US citizens or green card holders that are domiciled in the US).

Edited by lummo

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
12 hours ago, Chengher913 said:

Hi everyone. I'm a us citizen and I am trying to marry my girlfriend who is a hmong vietnamese. Everyone that I met is saying that it is impossible to marry a hmong vietnamese because the government wont allow hmong citizens to leave the country due the fact that they were involved in helping out the American side of the war. I also heard that in order to sponser a vietnamese citizen you will need a large amount of money in your personal bank account. Roughly around 15 to 20 grand. Can anybody give me some insight on this.

So many misconceptions.

The Vietnamese government  will not stop her from immigrating to the US.

You don't need a large amount of money in your personal bank account.  You need to meet the financial requirements of the I-134 for a fiancee visa or the I-864 for the spousal visa.

Read the Guides on VJ.  You have two options: K1 fiancee visa or CR-1 spousal visa.  

Two of your questions are misconceptions. First Hmong people are ethic and Vietnamese, so the government treats them as Vietnamese. Second, large asset is not needed, and what is really count are stable employment and income must above 125% poverty guideline level. Asset counts only 1/5 of the income requirement. 

Andy 

Edited by andynguyen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.