uluslarci

regarding our application timeline / Criminal Records

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

I and my wife are living abroad now. We plan to go back to the US this summer. My wife will resign from her job here and leave the country where we live now for the US in beginning of June. I will need to be in the US around mid-August.

Our case is at NVC stage. We've been waiting to proceed with our application to decide our next step. Now the plan is to pay the fee of AOS and IV Application in a few days, submit AOS documents -my spouse's parents will sponsor me since my wife does not have a job in the US- in a few weeks. Then when the time is closer to my wife's departure in May, we plan to submit the IV application to get an interview date. Hopefully, it will be in late June or sometime in July so that I can prove my wife's domicile in the US - she will rent an apartment and get a job. Even if it takes a little time for her to get a job, she can hopefully provide me at least the lease for the apartment and some job correspondences showing her domicile in the US. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? The interview date is sort of gambling but I thought I can get an interview in 2 months after submitting DS-260 in the worst case.

Second question is regarding the police certificate. There is a statement about the police certificate that we are supposed to bring to the interview:

"If you are older than 16 years of age: The original police certificate from your country of current residence and countries of previous residence. If these three items are all true, you must bring a more recent police certificate to the interview: 1. You are older than 16 years; 2. You obtained a police certificate more than one year ago; and 3. You still live in the country that issued the police certificate."

So I am going to bring a police certificate from the country where we are living now. But I lived in the US for 3 years on F-1 visa. Am I supposed to bring a police certificate from the US either? I am a little confused because technically I was a non-resident alien on F-1 in the US so it was not "residence". I also have a feeling that they already have the necessary information about my background in the US so the purpose of asking police certificates from other countries of residence is for people who lived countries other than the US. Am I right?

Thank you so much.

9 minutes ago, uluslarci said:

I also have a feeling that they already have the necessary information about my background in the US so the purpose of asking police certificates from other countries of residence is for people who lived countries other than the US. Am I right?

You are correct: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html "Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates."

Edited by lummo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, uluslarci said:

Hello all,

I and my wife are living abroad now. We plan to go back to the US this summer. My wife will resign from her job here and leave the country where we live now for the US in beginning of June. I will need to be in the US around mid-August.

Our case is at NVC stage. We've been waiting to proceed with our application to decide our next step. Now the plan is to pay the fee of AOS and IV Application in a few days, submit AOS documents -my spouse's parents will sponsor me since my wife does not have a job in the US- in a few weeks. Then when the time is closer to my wife's departure in May, we plan to submit the IV application to get an interview date. Hopefully, it will be in late June or sometime in July so that I can prove my wife's domicile in the US - she will rent an apartment and get a job. Even if it takes a little time for her to get a job, she can hopefully provide me at least the lease for the apartment and some job correspondences showing her domicile in the US. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? The interview date is sort of gambling but I thought I can get an interview in 2 months after submitting DS-260 in the worst case.

Second question is regarding the police certificate. There is a statement about the police certificate that we are supposed to bring to the interview:

"If you are older than 16 years of age: The original police certificate from your country of current residence and countries of previous residence. If these three items are all true, you must bring a more recent police certificate to the interview: 1. You are older than 16 years; 2. You obtained a police certificate more than one year ago; and 3. You still live in the country that issued the police certificate."

So I am going to bring a police certificate from the country where we are living now. But I lived in the US for 3 years on F-1 visa. Am I supposed to bring a police certificate from the US either? I am a little confused because technically I was a non-resident alien on F-1 in the US so it was not "residence". I also have a feeling that they already have the necessary information about my background in the US so the purpose of asking police certificates from other countries of residence is for people who lived countries other than the US. Am I right?

Thank you so much.

No police certificate from the US.

I would move ahead sooner.  The visa is good for six months after issue.  Your wife only has to show her intent to re-establish US domicile, not actually do it.  Unless it's Canada, then it's a more strict.  From which country are you immigrating?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
32 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

No police certificate from the US.

I would move ahead sooner.  The visa is good for six months after issue.  Your wife only has to show her intent to re-establish US domicile, not actually do it.  Unless it's Canada, then it's a more strict.  From which country are you immigrating?

Thank you so much for your answer. Turkey. I really don't know how long it takes here. Since we don't have any assets but bank accounts with some money in them in the US, we thought the safest way to prove my wife's domicile to rent an apartment in the US because finding a job in the US will take some time when she is there too. It is hard for her to get a job while she is in Turkey.

What are things showing "her intent to re-establish US domicile"? We bought a flight ticket for June. She will resign from her job here at the end of May. We only have bank accounts in the US. So if my interview is earlier than summer, the only things that I can provide for her domicile at the interview are her flight ticket, possible correspondence with real estate agents to rent a place -but they won't rent anything to us unless she is in the US-, possible job applications if there are any that she can apply for remotely, the bank accounts, and her state ID. I cannot think of anything else.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, uluslarci said:

We only have bank accounts in the US. 

Sounds good.  You also have as evidence, the fact that her spouse is applying for a visa to immigrate to the US, which YOU cannot USE if she doesn't return before or with you.  If she's LOOKING for a job, you'll have evidence of that too.  Go for it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.