2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are currently putting things together for AOS and I was reading the instructions for I-693, which is the Report of Medical Exam and Vaccination record. It states...

'You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you
wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file
your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is
required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination.'

Surely filing sooner with the I-485 would seem the more logical thing to do, but it may deem you likely to have another medical if you send it in earlier, it just seems strange? Especially after I had the medical and vaccinations needed prior in the UK.

36 minutes ago, Mr J said:

We are currently putting things together for AOS and I was reading the instructions for I-693, which is the Report of Medical Exam and Vaccination record. It states...

'You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you
wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file
your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is
required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination.'

Surely filing sooner with the I-485 would seem the more logical thing to do, but it may deem you likely to have another medical if you send it in earlier, it just seems strange? Especially after I had the medical and vaccinations needed prior in the UK.

The I693 does not apply to K1s provided you submit your AOS within 365 days of completing your overseas medical, have completed all the vaccination requirements and have a completed DS3025 from that overseas medical. You will only need to submit a photocopy of your copy of the DS3025 with your AOS application as your medical packet was already submitted to DHS at your POE and will be transferred to USCIS for your eventual AOS interview.

The information you are quoting is valid for immigrants who have not had a medical completed at all. So yes, another type of immigrant can choose whether or not to have a US Civil Surgeon complete a medical and sign an I693 for them within 60 days of AOS application or they can choose to wait until they receive an interview appointment to complete a medical and obtain a signed I693. In either case, that medical would be valid for 2 years from the date of the medical exam. In some cases, 2 years is not long enough. Ie they would have to wait MANY years for a chance at a greencard therefore it would be advantageous to wait until way later to obtain a medical.

Understand that there are many types of immigrants using this same I485 form. K1s are the minute minority so the instructions are mainly for the most common immigrants filing AOS

If you want to learn more about the details for K1s other than what I have posted above I would suggest checking out the USCIS policy manual. 

Everyone must receive a medical exam and vaccinations to apply for AOS. It's just that we as K1s have already done so so our procedure to follow is much different.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.