Crige

question about a foreign spouse visting a US Citizen

2 posts in this topic

I am planning on getting married to my fiancee, in Mexico, and she is a Mexican national that lives/works in Mexico and has documentation that proves her ties to her country. I live in the US and am a US citizen. She currently has a tourist visa and we have been concerned over how to appropriately, immigration wise, visit each other after we are married. We plan to apply for a permanent resident status for her within the next 6-12 months and plan on her staying in Mexico during the application process. Before we start the application process, she would like to visit me in the US.

My main questions are as follows:
Can she visit me using her current tourist visa before applying for any permanent resident status?
Would her visiting me in the US, after we are married, potentially hurt her opportunity to apply for a permanent resident status in the future?
Once we are married and have received our marriage license from the Mexican government does she have to forfeit in her tourist visa?

Thank you in advanced for any advice or suggestions. We are the type of individuals that believe in following the rules set by our government and do not want to brake any laws out of ignorance.

3 minutes ago, Crige said:

My main questions are as follows:
Can she visit me using her current tourist visa before applying for any permanent resident status?
Would her visiting me in the US, after we are married, potentially hurt her opportunity to apply for a permanent resident status in the future?
Once we are married and have received our marriage license from the Mexican government does she have to forfeit in her tourist visa?

Yes, she can visit on her existing visa. She should always bring proof of her ties home on each trip, as it is up to the discretion of the border officer whether to admit her.

no impact on green card application.

no need to forfeit her visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.