MargaretLanca

Confusing K-1 post-interview visa experience - ADVICE PROVIDED AND NEEDED

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This post I am writing serves as a warning for anyone who is about to do the medical exam for their interview, but I am also wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and would be able to offer some "advice"--or at least share your personal experience so I know how long this should be taking.

I had my medical exam scheduled in Montreal for Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018. Everything went well, but I received a phone call from the medical office two days later. They had grabbed the wrong sheet from me, so she asked me to send an electronic copy of the correct form (proof of scheduled interview date sent from the embassy.) I sent it off to her and then received a reply, where she stated, "You will be contacted by email when the results are ready."

I never received any email.

Monday, October 8, was Thanksgiving holiday, so I called them on Tuesday and asked if I could come pick up my exam results. The lady on the phone said they "already sent it directly to the embassy -- you should have received an email confirmation with a tracking number." I never received an email like that! I didn't panic too much at first... Surely the embassy will receive the medical exam results in time. After all, they're only a 15 minute walk away from each other. So I went to my interview on October 10, expecting the embassy to have my medical results, as I was told by the medical receptionist over the phone.

Now here is my WARNING to any of you who are about to do your medical exam! BE SURE YOU CONFIRM -- BEFORE LEAVING THE MEDICAL OFFICE-- THAT YOU WILL BE PICKING IT UP AND THEY SHOULD NOT SEND IT DIRECTLY TO THE EMBASSY. YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR EXAM RESULTS AND BRING THEM IN PERSON.

Here's why.

I got to my interview, and it was a breeze. It lasted about 5 minutes, and she said, "Everything looks great, we just need to review your medical exam results." Apparently my results never got to the embassy!...So I receive the dreaded 221(g) --the temporary refusal worksheet -- because of my "missing documents". I ran over to the medical office after my interview and asked what happened. After we sat in the waiting room for a while, a lady came out with an email that was supposed to have been sent to me with a tracking number. They did indeed send my medical results-- and the embassy did indeed receive it on October 9th at 11:09am -- but the embassy did NOT go through their mail. It's apparently sent to an off-site facility where the mail is sorted and then sent to the embassy. Why in the world would that medical office send it over to the embassy directly if it goes to an off-site facility? That should never even be an option.

So here we are 2 months later, still sitting in Administrative processing because the embassy did not open their mail before my interview. Now they have a lot of mail to open, so I don't entirely blame them, but I do want to warn any of you NEVER to allow the medical office to send the results directly to the embassy. My fiance received an email from the embassy on October 22, 2018 where they told him they received the medical exam results. FINALLY! It only took them 10 days to open the mail that had been sitting there.

I hope someone will be able to answer my current question though.

Our case was an IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION under "Administrative Processing" from the time of my interview until November 22. Case created was 02-Aug-2018.

Then on Friday, November 23, it changed to a NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION, and said "Application Received." Case created changed to 23-Nov-2018.

Under this status it said ... "Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days..."

We obviously had our interview already, so we figured MAYBE this meant our case would finally be issued in two business days. Nope!

Our case changed later that day -- once again -- to "Administrative Processing", but this time as a non-immigrant visa application with a new "case created" date.

So currently we have a NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION under "Administrative Processing", Case Created 23-Nov-2018; Case Updated 23-Nov-2018.

What does this mean? Has anyone had a similar experience? And if so, how long did it take to get resolved after it became a Nonimmigrant visa application?

I'm not sure what the hold-up is if my interview went so well and all they had to do was review my medical exam results.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help or let me know how long it took them after their application became nonimmigrant as opposed to immigrant.

Thanks so much :)

Edited by MargaretLanca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Saw on a different post that once it change from immigrant visa and new case date created to nonimmigrant visa will be issued soon. Im in AP now. You'll get your issue status soon.  I've read many previous after interview post and most recieved issue status after new case date created and the change from immigrant visa to non immigrant visa. We all check CEAC so much we notice little changes and patterns and assume the outcomes.  Good luck. Let's us know when it changes.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Sorry you had to go through that mess.

Fortunately, your visa will be issued soon. When it changes to Non-immigrant that means they processed your visa application. So you should see issued very soon. 

Congratulations!

Edited by gsdc23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.