Susi&Vinnie

REF regarding German divorce degree

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

REF: Legal Termination of Marriage / German divorce degree

Hello

In June my fiancé filled the I-129F and today we did receive following REF:

"Submit a legible photocopy of the legal termination of marriage of (my name) and (my ex husband).

Such proof would normally be a final (absolute) divorce decree .... In order for the legal termination of a marriage to be considered valid for immigration purposes, it generally must be valid in the jurisdiction where it was terminated. In addition, the divorce must also be recognised in the jurisdiction where any subsequent marriage occurred.

Note: A divorce Nisi is not considered to be evidence of a final divorce. "

In the I-129F we did provide the standard German divorce degree which you receive from the court after the divorce is final.

Its called a "Beschluss" which was translated as ´Ruling´ which the translation office told me is correct. This paper clearly says ... "marriage register no.xxx is hereby divorced". I really don't understand what else they could possibly want to see?

Any ideas?

If there is other divorced Germans here ... what did you provide?

Thank you so much for any advice or idea!

Susi

REF: Legal Termination of Marriage / German 

Hallo an alle!

Wir haben im Juni das I-129F eingereicht und heute folgenden REF erhalten:

"Submit a legible photocopy of the legal termination of marriage of (my name) and (my ex husband).

Such proof would normally be a final (absolute) divorce decree .... In order for the legal termination of a marriage to be considered valid for immigration purposes, it generally must be valid in the jurisdiction where it was terminated. In addition, the divorce must also be recognised in the jurisdiction where any subsequent marriage occurred.

Note: A divorce Nisi is not considered to be evidence of a final divorce. "

Ich habe den ganz normalen, standard Scheidungsbeschluss welchen man vom Gericht bekommt übersetzen lassen und mit dem I-129F eingereicht.

Beschluss wurde vom Translation office als ´Ruling´ übersetzt, was denke ich die korrekt juristische Bezeichnung ist. Daraus geht auch ganz eindeutig hervor ... Ehe wird hiermit geschieden.

Etwas anderes als diesen Beschluss bekommt man auch nicht vom Gericht...

Hat jemand eine Idee warum dies nicht anerkannt wird?

Kann ich ein anderes Dokument irgendwo beantragen?

Was habt ihr eingereicht? (falls schon mal geschieden ;) )

Lieben Dank für alle antworten und Ideen!

Susi

Timeline

Hallo an alle!

Gibt es denn wirklich keinen Deutschen K1 Antragsteller der einen Scheidungsbeschluss mit dem I-129Feingereicht hat und mir bitte helfen kann mal abzugleichen ob wir das gleiche Dokument verwenden?  Oder was ich ggf. falsch gemacht haben?

:( Ich werde am Montag mal zum Gericht gehen und denen meinen REF zeigen in der Hoffnung irgend ein weiteres Dokument zu bekommen welches die Scheidung noch mal bekräftigt ... aber sonst weis ich echt nicht weiter

On 11/30/2018 at 1:57 PM, Susi&Vinnie said:

Its called a "Beschluss" which was translated as ´Ruling´ which the translation office told me is correct. This paper clearly says ... "marriage register no.xxx is hereby divorced". I really don't understand what else they could possibly want to see?

Hmm.. Maybe USCIS is basing their decision on the Department of State info listing either Scheidungsurteil or Scheidungsbeschluss: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Germany.html

Timeline
33 minutes ago, HU87 said:

Hmm.. Maybe USCIS is basing their decision on the Department of State info listing either Scheidungsurteil or Scheidungsbeschluss: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Germany.html

Yeah I don't know ... I really wish I could ask my case worker what exactly he means.

I talked to my translation office again and they confirmed that the wording they used to translate my divorce decree is the accurate translation. They have a certain official vocabulary that a certified translator must use. So from there side its all correct. And also this lady said that its a standard document. I do trust her, I work with them already for quite a while.

Tomorrow I will go to our local court and discuss with them, also about the specific information on the Department of State website on how the divorce decree is supposed to look like. I hope they can at least write me a official statement confirming my divorce was final and that the document I provide is the official one.

Keep my fingers crossed ... 

Thank you for your reply :)

28 minutes ago, Susi&Vinnie said:

Tomorrow I will go to our local court and discuss with them

Do both of you reside in Germany? If yes, have you considered withdrawing the I-129F, marrying (anywhere in the world; for example Copenhagen is less bureaucratic), and doing the faster Direct Consular Filing (DCF) with the USCIS Frankfurt office? https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/germany-frankfurt-field-office ("Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative" tab) With DCF odds are that someone more competent will recognize the divorce document.

Edited by HU87

Timeline
3 minutes ago, HU87 said:

Do both of you reside in Germany? If yes, have you considered withdrawing the I-129F, marrying, and doing the faster Direct Consular Filing (DCF) with the USCIS Frankfurt office? https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/germany-frankfurt-field-office ("Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative" tab) With DCF odds are someone more competent will recognize the divorce document.

No, we are not giving up just now!

We waited already 6 month and pretty much everything is in order and ready to go. :)

Since we plan to live in the US at least for quite some time, I think in the end it doesn't matter which way you choose you still have to get all your papers and identity and everything approved also in the US at some point. If its the recognition of the marriage, the AOS or work visa later on, at some point you will have the discussion anyways.

We're staying positive, it'll all work out!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 6:30 AM, Susi&Vinnie said:

Hallo an alle!

Gibt es denn wirklich keinen Deutschen K1 Antragsteller der einen Scheidungsbeschluss mit dem I-129Feingereicht hat und mir bitte helfen kann mal abzugleichen ob wir das gleiche Dokument verwenden?  Oder was ich ggf. falsch gemacht haben?

:( Ich werde am Montag mal zum Gericht gehen und denen meinen REF zeigen in der Hoffnung irgend ein weiteres Dokument zu bekommen welches die Scheidung noch mal bekräftigt ... aber sonst weis ich echt nicht weiter

Were you able to obtain a second document from the court that confirms your divorce? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.