HarryWL

Entering Embassy without Passport.

9 posts in this topic

Long story short, CR1 case was expedite but at my embassy appointment they forgot to take payment and I didn't think anything of it till after I left embassy. 

I dropped them an email (London Embassy) and I was advised to drop by because payment can't be made by phone or online. I asked if not having my passport would be an issue to enter the embassy, but I was advised on bringing another form of ID and it shouldn't be an issue.

Scheduled to go back on December 6th, but I just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with entering the embassy without their passport? (for non-US Citizens). Mainly looking for some piece of mind to go with the email I received.

Any help would be appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

Print out the email they sent to u and take it with your ID

That's what they said in the email, but something about it just seems too easy. 

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

don't worry 

they'll be checking your photo ID with passport info as they have it

why aren't you paying the fee online

it is green card fee?

13 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

don't worry 

they'll be checking your photo ID with passport info as they have it

why aren't you paying the fee online

it is green card fee?

It's the DS-260 Visa Application Fee, as my case was expedited it should have been paid at the embassy. It didn't come up in conversation so I didn't think anything of it till I realized after I left the Embassy 20 minutes later. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

It's the DS-260 Visa Application Fee, as my case was expedited it should have been paid at the embassy. It didn't come up in conversation so I didn't think anything of it till I realized after I left the Embassy 20 minutes later. 

application fee for ds 260 is paid before u can even to the ds 260 online

what u need to pay now is actual green card processing fee 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee

it is best to pay before leaving as they do not process green card till this is paid

13 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

application fee for ds 260 is paid before u can even to the ds 260 online

what u need to pay now is actual green card processing fee 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee

it is best to pay before leaving as they do not process green card till this is paid

My case was expedited through NVC, so no payments have been made. DS 260 fee and Green Card fee are separate. In most cases DS-260 would have already been paid via NVC, but as my case was expedited, that wasn't the case. 

Edited by HarryWL

Timeline
8 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

My case was expedited through NVC, so no payments have been made. DS 260 fee and Green Card fee are separate. In most cases DS-260 would have already been paid via NVC, but as my case was expedited, that wasn't the case. 

learn something new every day as  USCIS site says you can not access the DS 260 until fee is paid

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/step-2-pay-fees.html

5 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

learn something new every day as  USCIS site says you can not access the DS 260 until fee is paid

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/step-2-pay-fees.html

This is absolutely correct for cases that haven't been expedited. But once cases have been expedited, everything is directly handled by the embassy. Which makes having to reenter the embassy to pay the fee without having your passport an extremely rare occurrence. (If ever). But hopefully all goes smoothly and it doesn't present any road blocks. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.