Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am a UK citizen in the US on a K1 visa. I am now married and looking to adjust status.

My question is: 

Are the Police Certificate and Subject Access Request, taken together, sufficient to satisfy the requirement on the i-485, or must I obtain further documentation from the British police, and if so, precisely what and from whom?

Some details follow. I was arrested and released without charge in 2008, in the UK, as reported in my K1 visa application process.

I have both a Police Certificate and a Subject Access Request, which were submitted at interview with the consular officer in London.

The Police Certificate, dated 11th July, 2018, states "No trace". The Subject Access Request mentions the arrest, and confirms "No further action".

The consular officer referred my case "upstairs", due to the arrest, meaning "the FBI, basically". Some weeks later my K1 visa was approved.

I now come to the i-485 adjustment of status.
The instructions state:

"You must submit certified police and court records for any criminal charges, arrests, or convictions you may have.

"If you were ever arrested..and no criminal charges were filed, you must submit:

"1) An original or certified copy of the complete arrest report; and

"2) Either an official statement by the arresting or detaining agency or prosecutor's office OR an applicable court order that indicates the final disposition of your arrest or detention."

I have tried contacting the police in city I was arrested, but so far they have sent me to numbers that either don't seem to work or are permanently engaged.

ACRO, who issue the police report, say they cannot supply anything more than I already have, and told me that in the UK there is no such document as an "arrest report".

Adding to my stress is the fact that my K1 visa will expire in mid-January.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have #2 above. You can alway submit AOS and see if they RFE. At least you get it started.


Have you emailed the local police force and asked for any documentation that have with your name on it concerning an incident on that date? Or are you just trying to call them?


Your visa is already expired.  It's over the day you use it to enter the US. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...