Filipiname

Help about being Convicted

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Anybody here  got the same case as my  dad's case?I Petition him to come to U.S. but then when he tried getting NBI Clearance there was a problem.The NBI attorney told him that he has a record and that they need to go the place where he got convicted.So my dad went to the court and they got a clearance from the court saying he has been charged before the court for gambling filed on June 1976 and said accused was convicted and  post fine for P10.And at the end of the clearance it says that he doesn't have pending case filed against him before this court to date.So they bring that back to the NBI and my dad got the NBI clerance where it says "no criminal record "My question was is there possibility he will get deny for getting a visa?On the DS260 form there was a question there asking about criminal history.Example was "Have you been arrested or convicted for any crime eventhough subject of pardon,amnesty or other similar action"?I would put yes to this as an answer?shall I put no because this was way back 1976 and it says in the clerance he doesn't have pending case or' no criminal record in his NBI clearance?Can somebody please give me answer.Thank you.

P.S. I'm still waiting for my invoice number.My.petition for my parents got approved and they send the application to the visa center in Portsmouth NH.I'm just thinking ahead of time what we gonna encounter about this case he had before I'll choose agent,pay for everything etc.

He absolutely must answer “yes” to that question in the DS-260. Never assume answering “yes” to such questions will automatically lead to a denial. Never lie at any stage of this process. Answer truthfully and follow the required steps. If he is eligible (and it looks like he may be) then he is eligible. If he’s not, there’s nothing you can do about it. You can’t change his eligibility. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.