R. Wolfe

Certified Translations - are copies ok?

2 posts in this topic

We're preparing Packet 3 and it looks like we need certified translations of (only?) her Birth Certificate and Single Status Certificate.

She has made the trek back to her hometown Amphur to obtain the Thai originals.

My question is, do the certified translations have to be original documents, or can they be print outs of the certified translations?

I see that there are places online where I can email in a document and get a certified translation emailed back. That would probably be faster for us since I'm in the US while she is in Bangkok.

Would that be ok, or is there some sort of seal or original signature requirement that would make a print out of the certification unacceptable?

For reference, I'm also looking at getting the translation done locally in BKK at a place recommended in these forums. I asked about pricing and have included the reply (with full info on the company) below:

------------------------------------------------

The cost is about 500 to 600 Baht per page.

Kind Regards,
Jammaree

Express Translation Service & Travel Co., Ltd.
866 Phloenchit, Lumphini, Pathumwan,
Bangkok 10330
Tel: 02-2555420-22, Fax: 02-2555423, Mobile : 084-6562459, 081-9051949
Email: express.translation@hotmail.com, express.translation@yahoo.com, jsornbun@hotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/expresstranslationservice/
Line: express866, idjammaree
Opening hours : Mon-Fri 08.30-17.00, Sat 09.00-14.00

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Quick answer:  Send copies with Packet 3, bring originals to the interview.

Long answer:

Instructions for Packet 3 imply that a copy of the Certified Translations for the birth certificate and Single Status Certificate (along with a copy of the original Thai language versions) are to be included with submission of Packet 3.   The original certified translated documents (along with the original non translated documents) are to be brought to the interview.   Original documents brought to the interview are returned to the interviewee during the interview process.

Specifically, Packet 3 states at the top of page 2 "Make sure to bring the original/certified copy of all the documents with you to submit at your visa interview.   All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations."

Note that I interpret "original/Certified Copy" as an "official copy" that has been provided to you by an official 3rd party (ie a government office, certified translator, etc).   It is not meant to be a copy of the "official copy".   So, once again, a copy of the "official copy" should be sent with packet 3, and the original "official copy" should be brought to the interview.  

To use your wording, a print out (ie copy) of the translations are to be included in Packet 3, but the original certified copy is to be brought to the interview.

In my case, the original certified copies of the translations performed at Express Translation Service included a red stamp on each page with the translators signature and date of translation.

I am not certain of the acceptability of using an online service.  My guess is that they would need to send you a physical copy of the translated document, as I would assume that an emailed copy would not be considered an original.   Hopefully if anyone has experience with an online translation process , they will chime in.   But, I would suggest contacting the Embassy directly to confirm that a print out of an emailed copy of a translation would qualify as an "original/Certified Copy".   It just does not sound right to me.

Edited by JoelThai

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.