GingerDino

Intended Occupation in the US?

11 posts in this topic

Hello!

My SO and I are currently in the process of filling out DS-260. One question is “what is your intended occupation to work in the US?” I’m still a student, and will be for another six years or so. I selected “student” and now our lawyer is wary about public charge....even though my SO will have a full-time job (we’re living abroad) and we have a co-sponsor. We have read the details on public charge, but it honestly sounds unlikely in our case. Does anyone have an experience with it? Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i would put student. dont lie.

you have a co sponsor and they know you cant work for a good long while anyways.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

1 hour ago, debbiedoo said:

i would put student. dont lie.

you have a co sponsor and they know you cant work for a good long while anyways.

Thanks for answering! I’m not planning on lying, but it is true I will potentially have a part time job in order to build my resume. I’m trying to confirm if what our lawyer is saying is true or exaggerated (as the lawyer has done it in the past).

I have job experience in field A, yet my background and intended occupations is/will be in field B. The lawyer is worried about certain professsions will be red-flagged too, which is field B. The lawyer is trying to push me into getting a job in field A (and emphasizing on the job, school comes last...completely opposite of my plans), though I have no intention of working a field A job ever again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fill out your info completely so we know what consulate you are dealing with. it often makes a difference. And certain occupations do lend themselves to more scrutiny. Even if what you worked in in the past, is no longer what you want to do, they will know about it.

if you are coming on a CR1 you can work pretty quickly.

Your spouses contacts will be your best bet (imo) for finding (any) job quickly, regardless of whether or not you stay with it long. Paul has talked (informational type interview) with one of mine twice now, and once he is able to work (will be awhile) he has a job waiting. Will likely get a formal job offer to try and expedite EAD so hes not bored out of his mind for months and months lol. Its not a matter so much of money, but more of boredom for him and hes not used to NOT working lol We were lucky as my background and contacts pair nicely with his career, so it works out nicely.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

5 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Fill out your info completely so we know what consulate you are dealing with. it often makes a difference. And certain occupations do lend themselves to more scrutiny. Even if what you worked in in the past, is no longer what you want to do, they will know about it.

if you are coming on a CR1 you can work pretty quickly.

Your spouses contacts will be your best bet (imo) for finding (any) job quickly, regardless of whether or not you stay with it long. Paul has talked (informational type interview) with one of mine twice now, and once he is able to work (will be awhile) he has a job waiting. Will likely get a formal job offer to try and expedite EAD so hes not bored out of his mind for months and months lol. Its not a matter so much of money, but more of boredom for him and hes not used to NOT working lol We were lucky as my background and contacts pair nicely with his career, so it works out nicely.

Thanks for your answer again! We will be really close to our 2nd anniversary by the time we get our interview, so it will likely be an IR-1 instead. Unfortunately my SO and I work in different fields, plus we’ve both been living in other countries in the past 10 years....we have no contacts locally besides family members. Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Student is fine.  

I’m currently enrolled in three universities. Two are in the US (one is distance learning, one is the school I’m transferring to next), and one is in the country we currently reside. My last semester ended a few months ago, meanwhile I have been taking classes from my distance learning program in the US. When DS-260 asks for present school information, is it OK to fill out the university in the country we currently reside? 

1 hour ago, GingerDino said:

I’m currently enrolled in three universities. Two are in the US (one is distance learning, one is the school I’m transferring to next), and one is in the country we currently reside. My last semester ended a few months ago, meanwhile I have been taking classes from my distance learning program in the US. When DS-260 asks for present school information, is it OK to fill out the university in the country we currently reside? 

Are you currently attending that university? If not then no.  Put the current university. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Are you currently attending that university? If not then no.  Put the current university. 

OK. Even though it’s a US university?

Edited by GingerDino

Yeah, you're not physically attending.  People do online all the time. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.