tradishd

OCI Renunciation Timeline

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, could I ask anyone who's gotten to OCI card in the US how long the entire process took? I live in SF jurisdiction so I'm expected to first renounce, then apply for the OCI card. I didn't see any timelines so I was wondering what a typical wait might be like. Also, when I send in my Indian passport, will they keep it or will it be returned with a cancelled stamp? I think that before Cox & Kings Global Service handled the OCI, Travisa would cancel it and return the Indian passport? 

• 8 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, Prads said:

HI @tradishd

Since this is an old post you must've gone throught the process. Please let me know the timing etc.

I just got my US passport last week.

Would you suggest posting the indian passport by mail vs going over to SF etc?

Thanks

P

Timeline is same for OCI and renunciation. This was the houston office

• Jul 08, 2019 - Monday
    03:59 pm Renunciation Certificate picked up by FedEx.
    To track the ‘Progress of Your Shipment’, log onto the site of FedEx and enter your AWB Number.
  • Jul 08, 2019 - Monday
    02:28 pm Renunciation Certificate Received at the CKGS application centre and is at the Sorting Facility where it is being processed for delivery. 
    Please continue tracking your application status online.
  • Jul 08, 2019 - Monday
    11:48 am Application 'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS Application Centre.
  • Jun 11, 2019 - Tuesday
    05:16 pm Application is 'Under Process' at Consulate for decision making.
  • Jun 11, 2019 - Tuesday
    05:16 pm Application is 'In Transit' to the Consulate. 
  • Jun 10, 2019 - Monday
    02:39 pm Application is ‘Under Process’ at CKGS. 
  • Jun 07, 2019 - Friday
    12:41 pm Application Verification is Complete. Processing of your application will continue.
    The Consulate may request for further documents over and above those already submitted as per the Document Checklist.
  • Jun 07, 2019 - Friday
    12:38 pm Application ‘Received’ by CKGS and 'Not Verified'. 

You will receive an E-mail advising you of the outcome of the verification process.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Prads said:

HI @tradishd

Since this is an old post you must've gone throught the process. Please let me know the timing etc.

I just got my US passport last week.

Would you suggest posting the indian passport by mail vs going over to SF etc?

Thanks

P

Additional Notes:

1. I would recommend choosing the prepaid FedEx/UPS label that CKGS will generate for shipping, its easier and hassle free
  2. Passport Photo provided should be different than one on US passport
  3. Make sure your name is exactly as is on US passport. If you do not see a section for middle name, add it in your first name.

Thanks @saladboye for your inputs.

In San Francisco, we don't have option to apply OCI along with renunciation.

So I've to apply first renun and then once its done, apply OCI.

Photo cant be same! I just took the photo 2 days before the oath which is used in the passport, what kind of rule is this ? Just venting..

I found another issue,

In Renunciation form, on 1st page, it gives option to input Last name, then given names where I put my first and middle name.

Then it asks to accept terms etc and I do, it gives me a ref#, then when I click next, the next page magically brings up the middle name field below the above 2 name fields.

And forces to add it or put NA!!!

The other 2 name fields updated in 1st form, is readonly now..am in a fix, dont want to put NA in middle, if i repeat, it might show as repeated.

Either ways, dont want them to reject it.

Need to find an answer for this.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Prads said:

Thanks @saladboye for your inputs.

In San Francisco, we don't have option to apply OCI along with renunciation.

So I've to apply first renun and then once its done, apply OCI.

Photo cant be same! I just took the photo 2 days before the oath which is used in the passport, what kind of rule is this ? Just venting..

I found another issue,

In Renunciation form, on 1st page, it gives option to input Last name, then given names where I put my first and middle name.

Then it asks to accept terms etc and I do, it gives me a ref#, then when I click next, the next page magically brings up the middle name field below the above 2 name fields.

And forces to add it or put NA!!!

The other 2 name fields updated in 1st form, is readonly now..am in a fix, dont want to put NA in middle, if i repeat, it might show as repeated.

Either ways, dont want them to reject it.

Need to find an answer for this.

1. Its fine, the first page is likely gonna be what is printed out on your either your renunciation certificate or the additional particulars form. (yes, they make you print out two copies of renunciation which IS THE CERTIFICATE, they will mail u back one and keep one.)
  2. I think it is fine to enter the name again. It is likely the the other form. don't worry you can edit it later from my account anytime till you ship it. Just go through the process.

They rejected mine cause it was lacking middle name. 

Also check with them again, they accepted both my forms and they certified the renunciation in 7 days and kept it with them till the OCI was approved and mailed them back again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.