Iwisheveryoneluck

Can you submit DS-160 and Payment Before an email From Kiev Embassy?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

I had couple of questions regarding the process. 

Background:

NVC sent me an email on Oct 30th that the case was sent to Kiev,  then ceac tracking website showed the case was ready on Nov 1st. However, when I emailed Kiev consulate today they said they haven't received our case yet and they'll email us when it's ready for an interview.

Anyway, my questions:

1. Approximately how long did it take you guys to get an email from Kiev consulate?

2. Do we need to wait for their email before submitting the DS-160 and the payment? 

She already got her medical done and all the other documents are almost complete.  

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Iwisheveryoneluck said:

Hi,

I had couple of questions regarding the process. 

Background:

NVC sent me an email on Oct 30th that the case was sent to Kiev,  then ceac tracking website showed the case was ready on Nov 1st. However, when I emailed Kiev consulate today they said they haven't received our case yet and they'll email us when it's ready for an interview.

Anyway, my questions:

1. Approximately how long did it take you guys to get an email from Kiev consulate?

2. Do we need to wait for their email before submitting the DS-160 and the payment? 

She already got her medical done and all the other documents are almost complete.  

Thanks in advance!

So here's something I posted that essentially answered the questions your are asking. 

You'll notice that people reference packet's a lot on here and in our case these packets are one in the same as emails as explained below:

Packet 3 - An email from the NVC to petitioner/beneficiary (whomever's email is on file)stating that they've sent off your case to the corresponding embassy. 

Packet 4 - An email from the the embassy to petitioner/beneficiary (whomever's email is on file) with instructions on how to schedule an interview and all the things that are required prior to the interview.

They (NVC) send  both a digital and  physical copy of your case to the embassy. I confirmed this by asking the NVC directly. 

Digital copy gets there almost instantaneously while the physical copy takes a little more than a week so make sure to schedule your interview at least two weeks out minimum from the time that the NVC sends out the email (Packet 3) as they won't conduct the interview without the physical case in front of them. 

You can go ahead and submit the DS-160 and payment now, no need to wait.  All they require is the new Case # that you were given from the NVC in order to do so. Once you've done that you can also schedule the interview by calling the embassy call center. I'm pretty sure they will schedule an interview as long as they've already received the digital copy. The key here is to make sure you allow enough time for the physical copy of your case to reach the embassy. They don't appear to be very busy at the moment so setting up an appointment as early as the same week you call or even the next day is possible. 

A good way to check if they've also received your actual physical case is to monitor the CEAC tracker site. Look at the date it was last touched. For example, it changes to "Ready" from "In Transit" when the embassy receives the electronic version of your case. Take note of that date because when the date changes again that almost more than likely means they got your physical package. So keep note of the dates on the CEAC Tracker site as they are good indicators. 

We got the email (Packet 4) right around 8 days after our case left the NVC so I think you'll probably be getting it either today or tomorrow. 

Hope that clears things up!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.