someguy509

Several questions, regarding AOS and supporting forms

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello All,

I am working on AOS for my Fiance. I am a USC and she is Japanese here as an F1 student. We are about to get married and I want to file shortly after that. Having stared at the forms for a while I have come up with a few questions I haven't been able to answer with searches.

-Should I list myself as an interpreter? Or the preparer? I have been filling out her forms and my forms. I had to read her some of the question in English (even though she is Japanese). She understands English just fine when it’s spoken and I reword the question. What do I do in this situation? I feel like it would be weird to say "English" as the mutual language that we both understand.

-She left Japan at the start of the year but continued receiving payments from her company for two months, this had something to do with saved up vacation being payed out when she quit. On the 130A section 8a it asks when you worked until on your overseas job. Is it ok to list that she worked until March even though she came over in January?

-For the I-765 it ask if this is for initial employment. She currently works at her school under her F-1. Do I still mark the form as for initial employment? Also I read I can use section 15 to have her get issued a new SS card with here new name. Is that true?

-For the Japanese addresses the official translation listed the cities as ex: "Nagoya City". Should I just say Nagoya?

Thank you all for the help,

This forum is an invaluable resource.

1. You would fill out those sections if you are actually being an interpreter or preparer for her. It won't impact her application.
  2. If she was still technically employed, then she would include that time. If she was not working while in the US (working != being employed overseas and/or earning income) , then she didn't violate status. Not that it would be a bar for her AOS anyway as the spouse of a USC.
  3. This is an initial employment under thew (c)(9) category.
    1. If she already has an SSN under her current status and she maintains that status while AOS is pending, she can apply for a new card in the married name using the marriage certificate. That is a legal name change document. That said, the SSA is very inconsistent...people have had issues doing this in the past and needed multiple visits to get a good employee (took us 3 times) or to try another SSA. Worst case you can do it yourself once the EAD arrives in the new name. Since she already has an SSN, there is usually little rush to change the name IMO.
  4. I'd go with the official name of the city (not just what is on the translation), but it won't really matter either way. FYI, my wife just flew through Nagoya a few hours ago...wish she had time to see the area!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

1: So since I am filling them out I'll list myself as the preparer then. It seems mixed on whether that section is only for lawyer or anyone can use it. I guess since I am her husband it's probably a non issue.

2: Makes sense

3: Ok, I'll just leave that section on the I-765 empty

4: I'll leave city/prefecture out of the names. Seems redundant.

I spent a lot of time in Nagoya for work. It's a lot less hectic than Tokyo.

44 minutes ago, someguy509 said:

1: So since I am filling them out I'll list myself as the preparer then. It seems mixed on whether that section is only for lawyer or anyone can use it. I guess since I am her husband it's probably a non issue.

2: Makes sense

3: Ok, I'll just leave that section on the I-765 empty

4: I'll leave city/prefecture out of the names. Seems redundant.

I spent a lot of time in Nagoya for work. It's a lot less hectic than Tokyo.

1) Anybody can use it. A lawyer needs to complete a G-28.

Very true...although there is a special place in my mind for Tokyo. I'm not a city guy but that's the 1 city I could  see myself in.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.