DaveandLaura

Getting married in the US and Application for Employment Authorization

15 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone could help me with an answer I recieved from an immigration lawyer in the USA.

Basically he told me that if I entered the US on the visa waver program (I'm a British citizen) and got married they would immediately file for a Petiton for Alien Relative (I-130?) and also an Application for Employment Authorization which takes 6 to 8 weeks to come through. Although the petition takes up to a year I could start work a lot sooner.

Does anyone no if this is correct?

My fiancee has arranged for a face to face meeting just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Filed: Timeline

If you enter on a VWP and tell the officer at the POE you are here to get married and file for Adjustment of Status and EAD you will be on the first flight back to the UK.....

You need a K1 visa to enter the US with the intent of getting married and remaining....

Kez

It is fraud to enter US like a tourist with the intention to get married.

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

People do abuse the visa waiver program in this way, but also can and do run into problems at the AOS interview, when the interviewing officer suspects that the visa waiver program was missused and the original intent was to enter the USA and then file for AOS in the first place. If they suspect visa fraud they can just as well deny the AOS and kindly ask you to leave the country, and then you will need to file a waiver to overcome this.

It is always best to file for the correct spousal visa (K-1, K-3, CR-1) and enter the country correctly.

It boils down to intent, did you or did you not intend to commit visa fraud.

WHY DOES THIS QUESTION GET ASKED IN SO MANY WAYS?

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

If you enter on a VWP and tell the officer at the POE you are here to get married and file for Adjustment of Status and EAD you will be on the first flight back to the UK.....

You need a K1 visa to enter the US with the intent of getting married and remaining....

Kez

Kez

That's what I thought. But as the reply came from an immigration lawyer I wanted to double check. We have been looking at the K-1 visa but the K-3 visa seems a better option if we want to get married within the next 6 months.

Does anyone know if travel to the US is allowed while the forms for the K-3 are being processed?

Thanks again

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
That's what I thought. But as the reply came from an immigration lawyer I wanted to double check. We have been looking at the K-1 visa but the K-3 visa seems a better option if we want to get married within the next 6 months.

Does anyone know if travel to the US is allowed while the forms for the K-3 are being processed?

Thanks again

Yes many do while K-1, K-3 or CR-1 visa is being processed, you need to show strong ties back home, like letter from employer, property deeds, ect.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm hoping someone could help me with an answer I recieved from an immigration lawyer in the USA.

Basically he told me that if I entered the US on the visa waver program (I'm a British citizen) and got married they would immediately file for a Petiton for Alien Relative (I-130?) and also an Application for Employment Authorization which takes 6 to 8 weeks to come through. Although the petition takes up to a year I could start work a lot sooner.

Does anyone no if this is correct?

My fiancee has arranged for a face to face meeting just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

I'm in a similar situation. I am a U.S. citizen and married to a U.K. citizen. We applied for a K-3 visa which was approved via a 129F. Once the application went was forwarded to the consulate in London, they are saying the marriage is not a civil marriage. We had a religious ceremony performed and were misinformed that it would serve as both a civil and religious marriage. So basically, USCIS approved my petition but the consulate has denied the visa.

I went to the local USCIS office to speak with an immigration officer. She informed me that if my K-3 is denied I can re-apply for the K-1. However, she told me a better option would be to have her come on a visa waiver, get married immiediately via court marriage. Then file an I-130, I-485, and travel and employment authorization the last 2 are optional.

I'm evaluating my options, she did indicate that questions would arise during the interview but that being a U.S. citizen I shouldn't have any problems answering the questions.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Date I-129F Sent : 5/24/2007

Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt) : 6/8/2007

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 3/21/2008

Date Package Left From NVC : 4/7/2008

Date Received By Consulate : 4/9/2008

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) : 4/18/2008

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) : 4/21/2008

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): 4/25/2008

Interview Date (K1 Visa): 5/13/2008

Date K1 Visa Received : 5/15/2008

Date of US Entry : 5/21/2008

Date of Wedding : 5/23/2008

Date AOS Package Sent: 6/10/2008

Date AOS Package Received: 6/12/2008

Once the application went was forwarded to the consulate in London, they are saying the marriage is not a civil marriage. We had a religious ceremony performed and were misinformed that it would serve as both a civil and religious marriage. So basically, USCIS approved my petition but the consulate has denied the visa.

I'm curious why the consulate determined that your religious ceremony was not a valid one. Did you have a marriage license that you, your spouse and the person officiating the marriage signed after the religious ceremony?

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Timeline
I went to the local USCIS office to speak with an immigration officer. She informed me that if my K-3 is denied I can re-apply for the K-1. However, she told me a better option would be to have her come on a visa waiver, get married immiediately via court marriage. Then file an I-130, I-485, and travel and employment authorization the last 2 are optional.

USCIS have told many people this..... but USCIS do not admit people into the US that is done by CBP officers at each POE.... now if you show up on a VWP and the officer askes you "what is the purpose of your visit"? and you reply "I an here to get married and then file for AOS" even when you say you were told to do it this way you will find yourself denied entry and on the first flight back to the UK (at your expense) and never being able to use the VWP again....

Now if the officer does not ask you and you do not say, and you are admitted to the US then you could file for AOS and remain.... you may be asked to prove you did not have intent on entry but there again I have never seen anyone on here denied for doing AOS from a VWP....

It all comes down to how much of a risk you are willing to take....

Kez

Edited by Niagaenola

Looks like the K-3 visa is the best option personnally. Going straight through on a visa waiver seems too risky although I still keep seeing lawyers claiming it as a way of staying in the US after marrige. Am trying to get as much information with regards to processing times, but how did everyone else manage the weeks or months apart? If I go back and forth to the US under the visa waiver program does anyone know if the allowed 90 days covers the entire year or just that one entry i.e. can I stay in the US for up to 90 days, leave and then come back for a further 90 days? assuming I could afford to stay unemployed for that length of time.

Looks like the K-3 visa is the best option personnally. Going straight through on a visa waiver seems too risky although I still keep seeing lawyers claiming it as a way of staying in the US after marrige. Am trying to get as much information with regards to processing times, but how did everyone else manage the weeks or months apart? If I go back and forth to the US under the visa waiver program does anyone know if the allowed 90 days covers the entire year or just that one entry i.e. can I stay in the US for up to 90 days, leave and then come back for a further 90 days? assuming I could afford to stay unemployed for that length of time.

I agree that going through the VWP in your case and then adjusting is too risky. For me personally, I wouldn't do it even if I knew I wouldn't get caught because I'm a stickler for doing things right.

You can enter under the VWP repeatedly without a certain time period in between, but each time you enter it's up to the discretion of the immigration official. I would think that as long as you're traveling all the way back home each time and continually providing proof of your ties to your home country and proof you don't need to work, you should be okay. A mortage/lease agreement, return ticket dated less than 90 days out, and for extra padding maybe even a letter from someone in your family who depends on you for some type of support (if that's the case).

In case you didn't know, it's okay to travel under the VWP, get married in the US, and then return home again. Bring all your proof of ties to your home country and make the return ticket for way less than the full 90 days and you'll be good to go.

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Something else - I obviously don't have a clue about your financial situation or hers, but something you might want to consider, especially if being together is the most important thing, is what my husband and I did. He entered the states under the VWP, we got married and then applied for a UK spousal visa (that is a very easy process and takes only a couple weeks but now costs £500) and I returned to the UK with him. We're now living in the UK together and have filed our I-130 directly with the London USCIS office, that process only takes about six months to get a CR1 visa, which has a lot of advantages over the K3 visa. Once she was in the UK for six months, you would also be able to do the same. Here's a link about it -

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

So in that way, it would be just over a year or so before you had the CR1 immigrant visa, which results directly in a green card and work authorisation at point of entry. That's about the length of time it takes through the US service center, but doing it this way means you wouldn't spend any time apart or have any worries about being denied entry when visiting under the VWP. In fact, with the adjustment of status fees possibly about to go up, I don't think my suggestion would actually end up being too much more expensive.

If you have a better job in the UK than she does in the states, I would say that's definitely something to consider. She might also find it a good experience to learn about your country and spend time with your family - I know that it's been a great adventure for me, sometimes hard but not something I would change for anything.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Thanks for all that information. I hadn't considered the spousal form for this country option and shall forward that idea on. She has the better career but is self employed but gives us a bit of leeway in what we can and cannot do.

Thanks again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.