Jump to content

ITIN Rejected-How to change Filing Status

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I filed my 2017 tax return as MFJ with ITIN renewal.  ITIN was rejected in May, exemption denied.  

Spouse and I lived together all year in 2017, separated in March2018 and wants nothing to do with me. 

That means I can't submit a new ITIN application, how do I go from MFJ to HOH and can I even do that?  Can a court order us to file our taxes together for 2017?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No the court can not enforce how he files taxes

he can file married filing separate

not sure how he will if no ITIN unless he now has SS # but that would be cause for non renewal of ITIN

and now that he is in US,  he should have applied for SS#

Since none of know if he had income or your other circumstances,  no idea if you can do file as head of house 

look at IRS webpage or call IRS or make an appointment and ask

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.