nhd

Change of Status

12 posts in this topic

I am on H4 visa in USA from last 9 years, getting a divorce after 12 years of marriage. My parents are US citizen and they filed for me in F3 category. On my I-797 My priority date is Dec 2010. So my question is that after my divorce is it possible i can stay in USA with my parents and my son(US citizen) with change of status? F3 (Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens) to F1 (Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens). How long it will take? Thank you

*~*~*moved from “off topic” to “bringing family members of USCs” and one duplicate thread removed - please do not post the same question more than once - thank you*~*~*

What country are you from? Mexico and Philippines have longer waits so if you are from either of those you have many more years to wait. If you are an H4 dependent of an H-1B then your status will expire once the divorce is finalized and you will have to leave the country. You cannot stay if your priority date is not current. If your son was born in the USA, he is a USC and can stay. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

2 hours ago, nhd said:

The PD is current so you can adjust status.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

You’d probably need to get an attorney to handle changing the classification. You may (I’m not sure) need to return to India between when your H4 status expires and when you get proof of approval of conversion to F1 - the attorney would advise on that. But if you do then you would do consulr processing in India, not AOS.

Edited by SusieQQQ

9 minutes ago, JFH said:

You have a few years to wait so you will need to return home. 

Not if she changes to F1, then the PD is current. So it becomes about changing the classification rather than waiting for a PD.

20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not if she changes to F1, then the PD is current. So it becomes about changing the classification rather than waiting for a PD.

Must get new glasses. I read the PD as 2016 not 2010. Will edit my post.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

26 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You’d probably need to get an attorney to handle changing the classification. You may (I’m not sure) need to return to India between when your H4 status expires and when you get proof of approval of conversion to F1 - the attorney would advise on that. But if you do then you would do consulr processing in India, not AOS.

Wouldn’t it just be a petition upgrade like an F2A that becomes a CR-1 if the petitioner becomes a  USC after filing? There is no visa yet, they are only at petition stage. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

12 minutes ago, JFH said:

Wouldn’t it just be a petition upgrade like an F2A that becomes a CR-1 if the petitioner becomes a  USC after filing? There is no visa yet, they are only at petition stage. 

I don’t know exactly how it works - but if she needs to get divorced before she can upgrade the petition, then isn’t she automatically is out of status before she (or her parents technically) can apply for the upgrade? So she’d need to leave? She can’t just stay because she won’t be able to adjust status if she’s been out of status/has no valid status to adjust from, and there is no forgiveness for overstay for any of the “F” categories. I don’t see how she can adjust actually, wouldn’t she have to do CP?  She won’t be able to file for AOS before the event that puts her out of status.

Edited by SusieQQQ

6 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t know exactly how it works - but if she needs to get divorced before she can upgrade the petition, then isn’t she automatically is out of status before she (or her parents technically) can apply for the upgrade? So she’d need to leave? She can’t just stay because she won’t be able to adjust status if she’s been out of status/has no valid status to assist from, and there is no forgiveness for overstay for any of the “F” categories. I don’t see how she can adjust actually, wouldn’t she have to do CP?  She won’t be able to file for AOS before the event that puts her out of status.

Depends if there is a grace period that allows newly-divorced H4s to remain in country for a given period of time after the divorce. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

8 minutes ago, JFH said:

Depends if there is a grace period that allows newly-divorced H4s to remain in country for a given period of time after the divorce. 

I’m always slightly sceptical of Avvo, but on this question asked by someone else a couple of years ago the lawyers all agree there is no grace period after a divorce for H4. I do think best advice for OP is to engage an attorney of her own in case there is a workaround. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.