ykowalski

I-130 - Is Beneficiary's birth certificate required?

4 posts in this topic

We're getting ready to submit our file this coming weekend and I was wondering if I need to include my birth certificate?

I was born in Iraq and I am and naturalized Canadian citizen, I have a valid Canadian passport and I have a Canadian citizenship certificate, would that suffice? Or do I really need to dig thru the papers my parents have and see if I have something from Iraq?

Thank you. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, ykowalski said:

We're getting ready to submit our file this coming weekend and I was wondering if I need to include my birth certificate?

I was born in Iraq and I am and naturalized Canadian citizen, I have a valid Canadian passport and I have a Canadian citizenship certificate, would that suffice? Or do I really need to dig thru the papers my parents have and see if I have something from Iraq?

Thank you. 

At the petition filing stage, the spouse/beneficiary's Birth Certificate is not needed.  However, yes, you will need your Birth Certificate several months down the line at the NVC stage of the process.  You'll need it whether your parents have it or not.

The US Citizen's birth certificate can be used as evidence of US Citizenship but the beneficiary's birth certificate is a required civil document for a completely different purpose.  You'll also need a certified translation of your BC.  (Actually an "Identity Certificate")  

Identity Certificates (Shenasnameh)

Available. Identity certificates (Shenasnameh) showing the date and place of birth, parents' names, place of residence, and marital history where appropriate, are issued to Iranian nationals in urban centers by the Department of National Registration and Statistics (Edareh Sabt Ahval va Omar) and in rural regions by district (Bakhsh) offices of the Department. These are accepted by the Embassy in lieu of birth certificates for visa purposes. Information contained in these certificates must be evaluated with the understanding that certain data, particularly dates and places, may be inaccurate. No official fee is charged for delivering documents to the applicants. When these documents are requested from abroad, an indefinite waiting period should be expected before a reply is received.

Available. Identity certificates (Shenasnameh) showing the date and place of birth, parents' names, place of residence, and marital history where appropriate, are issued to Iranian nationals in urban centers by the Department of National Registration and Statistics (Edareh Sabt Ahval va Omar) and in rural regions by district (Bakhsh) offices of the Department. These are accepted by the Embassy in lieu of birth certificates for visa purposes. Information contained in these certificates must be evaluated with the understanding that certain data, particularly dates and places, may be inaccurate. No official fee is charged for delivering documents to the applicants. When these documents are requested from abroad, an indefinite waiting period should be expected before a reply is received.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

20 hours ago, pushbrk said:

At the petition filing stage, the spouse/beneficiary's Birth Certificate is not needed.  However, yes, you will need your Birth Certificate several months down the line at the NVC stage of the process.  You'll need it whether your parents have it or not.

The US Citizen's birth certificate can be used as evidence of US Citizenship but the beneficiary's birth certificate is a required civil document for a completely different purpose.  You'll also need a certified translation of your BC.  (Actually an "Identity Certificate")  

Thank you for looking into it. I believe you pulled up documents from Iran (At least that's what it sounds like to me). I was born in Iraq. However, I do know what you mean, I can go to the website and see what documents USCIS recognize as a birth Certificate. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, ykowalski said:

Thank you for looking into it. I believe you pulled up documents from Iran (At least that's what it sounds like to me). I was born in Iraq. However, I do know what you mean, I can go to the website and see what documents USCIS recognize as a birth Certificate. 

Correct that you can go to that site for any country but it is not for what USCIS recognizes.  It's for the Dept. of State.  USCIS does not need to see the foreign spouse's birth certificate but they would need to see it for a step child.

For Iraq https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Iraq.html

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.