araxoolie

Getting a Dutch police certificate (VOG)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My fiancee is from the Netherlands and we're expecting to see a NOA2 any day now, so it's time to prepare the things she will need for the interview. The one thing that seems to be tricky is the police certificate. I read on the state department website here that you have to be registered in a municipality and they'll process the VOG. The thing is, she's not registered in a municipality (as far as I know)--and if she is, it's out of date. She has been traveling from Australia to the USA to Canada and back to the USA for the past year and a half. She will be returning to the Netherlands next week but it's a temporary housing situation to keep her safe until the visa goes through and she can come home to me again. So in short, she doesn't have a permanent address in the Netherlands. Does she need to register at the municipality where her temporary housing is located? What does that involve? Is there a way to get a VOG without that?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Applying for a VOG

You can obtain a VOG in one of three ways:

• From your municipality

You need a VOG because you are applying for a job or a work permit, or you want to emigrate, etc. Send a fully completed application form (PDF, 0.18MB) to the municipality in which you are registered. If you need a VOG for a job, your current or future employer will usually provide the application form. The employer will already have completed and signed part of the form. You must identify yourself at the municipality. A fee is payable when you apply for a VOG. The VOG is free of charge for a large group of volunteers as per 2015.
  • Via the internet

You can apply for a VOG via the internet only if your current or future employer starts the application procedure. How you and your employer should apply for a VOG via the internet is explained on Justis’s website.
  • From Justis

If you are not registered in the BRP, you must apply directly to Justis, for example if you are working temporarily in the Netherlands or live abroad. Complete the application form (PDF, 0.18MB) and send it to Justis, t.a.v. afdeling COVOG, Postbus 16115, 2500 BC Den Haag. Justis can also help businesses (legal persons) that need a VOG. For instance, if they wish to conclude a contract or join an industry association. A separate application form is available for legal persons (in Dutch, pdf, 0,24 MB).

hi , i lived in the netherlands too. you can get it also from the justce department if you do not live there anymore

• 2 weeks later...

Araxoolie - Keep that info on the VOG handy (bookmark it).   So far my LPR husband has had to order a VOG 3 times, only one time for USCIS.   Some large companies require a new VOG as part of a background check when hiring someone from the NL who hasn't been in the US for long.  My husband had to order a VOG 2 years after arrival for his current employer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.