darth vader

Canadian August+September 2018 Case Complete To Interview For Spousal Visa Filers Thread

711 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Bethany123 said:

They don't need photocopies of the civil documents, just originals. When you get there, they ask you for all your paperwork and they hand you back the affidavit and taxes. You sit back down and wait to be called for the interview. At the interview they hand you back your civil documents and keep your police check. 

I know someone asked this above but still unclear- what do you mean by affidavit? Is that the same as the I-864?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Courtney86 said:

I know someone asked this above but still unclear- what do you mean by affidavit? Is that the same as the I-864?

Yes, same thing. 

• Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Montreal, Canada
  • Marriage: 2017-05-08
  • i130 Sent: 2017-07-07
  • i130 NOA1: 2017-07-12
  • i130 NOA2: 2018-02-15
  • NVC Received: 2018-03-07
  • Case Number Received: 2018-05-10
  • Send AOS Package: 2018-05-23
  • Send IV Package: 2018-07-19
  • Case Completed at NVC: 2018-07-26
  • Interview Date: 2018-10-31 (approved!)
  • Visa in hand: 2018-11-05

Timeline
On 10/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, MtnBoarder said:

Good to hear, congrats! On my checklist it says a photocopy of the I-864 is ok so I’m hoping that’s still the case. My lawyer seems to say it is.

Let us us know how long it takes to get your passport/visa back. That part will help me personally know if we need to change potential plans we have made. I’m hoping it’s  very fast...like 5 days fast!

I just got this email....

We are contacting you in relation to your recent U.S. visa application.

Due to a possible postal service interruption we will be unable to ship your documents to you for the moment.

For this reason, we are offering you to pick up your documents in person at the time and place listed below:

- Date: November 5, 2018, from 10:00am to 12:00 pm

- Place: 1155 rue St-Alexandre, Montréal, Québec , H3B 1Z1

7 hours ago, Bethany123 said:

They didn't look at my evidence. I had photos, call logs, and some joint stuff like our car and me being under his health insurance. I've read many reviews for the Montreal consulate and it looks like they almost never ask. However, better to have it in case they do.  

thanks Bethany you rock ! and have a safe trip 💓

Timeline
17 minutes ago, mollyc said:

thanks Bethany you rock ! and have a safe trip 💓

You're welcome. I'm glad to help! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Bethany123 said:

Due to a possible postal service interruption we will be unable to ship your documents to you for the moment.

For this reason, we are offering you to pick up your documents in person at the time and place listed below:

Is that all it said? Only option is to pick up? Or they are offering that as an alternative to just waiting out the strike? 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Bethany123 said:

Oh no, why can’t they use Fedex, UPS, or any other non-Canada Post courier? And what about the extra $21 courier service? Did we pay that for nothing? Yes, if I was still in Ottawa it’s only a 3 hr inconvenience ( 1.5 hrs each way) but I’m near London now so it’s a 16 hour commitment for a postal strike which isn’t even happening yet. I’m sorry, but after all the other BS this is just too much!

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Courtney86 said:

Is that all it said? Only option is to pick up? Or they are offering that as an alternative to just waiting out the strike? 

Yes, that's all it said. My impression is that it's an alternative to waiting out the strike.

Timeline
14 hours ago, Bfrank2me said:

Oh no, why can’t they use Fedex, UPS, or any other non-Canada Post courier? And what about the extra $21 courier service? Did we pay that for nothing? Yes, if I was still in Ottawa it’s only a 3 hr inconvenience ( 1.5 hrs each way) but I’m near London now so it’s a 16 hour commitment for a postal strike which isn’t even happening yet. I’m sorry, but after all the other BS this is just too much!

That is what I was thinking, the problem is I need to go and spend night just like I did for interview date and come home after two night I couldn’t find any transportation to go and back in one day if anyone have idea I appreciate it 

On 11/2/2018 at 2:42 PM, Bethany123 said:

Oh man. 🙄...mixed feelings with that email!

Nice to see they have it day 4 out of your interview, sucks they can’t ship. I’m just under 8 hours from Montreal, so I’ll drive it again, but the thought of another 16 round trip drive sucks!! It does mean the visa will be in hand, but I hate the thought!!

thanks for the update. 

I’m  assuming you’re gonna pick it up so fill us in on what’s required

Timeline
18 minutes ago, MtnBoarder said:

Oh man. 🙄...mixed feelings with that email!

Nice to see they have it day 4 out of your interview, sucks they can’t ship. I’m just under 8 hours from Montreal, so I’ll drive it again, but the thought of another 16 round trip drive sucks!! It does mean the visa will be in hand, but I hate the thought!!

thanks for the update. 

I’m  assuming you’re gonna pick it up so fill us in on what’s required

Yeah, I'm just going to pick it up. I assume I'll just need photo ID. I'll keep you updated. 

20 minutes ago, Bethany123 said:

Yeah, I'm just going to pick it up. I assume I'll just need photo ID. I'll keep you updated. 

Sounds good. And ya, I assume photo ID is all that would be required...seeing as they already have your passport.

Thanks for the update. This is huge piece of info because now the west coasters, who don’t have the luxury of being so close, now know how to plan a little better.  The power of sharing info on here in invaluable!

hey Bethany, did you get your flu shot? When I went to my physical they said they didn’t have it to give since it wasn’t November. Wondering if the embassy said anything about that?

Edited by MtnBoarder

For the people who have had interviews, could you please tell us 1) whether you submitted a name-based background check as part of your document package to the NVC, and 2) whether during the interview, the officer didn’t just look at the name-based check, but  then also asked you to produce a fingerprint-based criminal record check at your appointment?

I think my situation will be similar to many here – having submitted the name-based check, and getting CC with it – and I’m curious to know if since we got CC on the name-based check, we’re home free on the fingerprint-based requirement.  

Much appreciation to anyone who shares!

Edited by MC1

4 hours ago, MC1 said:

For the people who have had interviews, could you please tell us 1) whether you submitted a name-based background check as part of your document package to the NVC, and 2) whether during the interview, the officer didn’t just look at the name-based check, but  then also asked you to produce a fingerprint-based criminal record check at your appointment?

I think my situation will be similar to many here – having submitted the name-based check, and getting CC with it – and I’m curious to know if since we got CC on the name-based check, we’re home free on the fingerprint-based requirement.  

I was advised by the NVC to obtain both because the consulate may require it, despite the NVC giving you a cc date. Ask yourself is it worth the chance that you may need it but don’t have it?  The NVC  gives out a cc based on the current requirements at the time. The new check went into effect in September and I was told by the NVC that they cannot guarantee that the embassy/consulate  will not want one, or both.

Ill have an actual answer on November 9th, personally.

Edited by MtnBoarder

Timeline
On 11/4/2018 at 12:52 AM, MC1 said:

My case was complete before the September date when the requirement changed. At the interview, I brought in the name-based police check that I had sent to NVC and they accepted it without question. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.