MelandA

Correcting a mistake on passport.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Good morning everyone,

I just noticed this morning that the place of birth in my fiancé’s passport is incorrect. He had his passport renewed and even provided the expired passport for renewal yet the Ghana passport services still messed up. He has had the passport for months and never noticed the mistake until this morning. My questions are:

1. Can the mistake be corrected without having him being issued a whole new passport with a different passport number? His current passport doesn’t expire until 2023.

2. We have already made the payment for the visa fee and have his passport number already on the receipt. In the event that he cannot simply correct the place of birth( with Ghana you never really know), can he go back to the bank and have them issue a new receipt with the new passport number? Thank you all so much. I’m just glad we found the mistake before submitting the DS 160. Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, MelandA said:

Good morning everyone,

I just noticed this morning that the place of birth in my fiancé’s passport is incorrect. He had his passport renewed and even provided the expired passport for renewal yet the Ghana passport services still messed up. He has had the passport for months and never noticed the mistake until this morning. My questions are:

1. Can the mistake be corrected without having him being issued a whole new passport with a different passport number? His current passport doesn’t expire until 2023.

2. We have already made the payment for the visa fee and have his passport number already on the receipt. In the event that he cannot simply correct the place of birth( with Ghana you never really know), can he go back to the bank and have them issue a new receipt with the new passport number? Thank you all so much. I’m just glad we found the mistake before submitting the DS 160. Thank you.

You have to correct the place of birth in the passport. Check with the Ghana passport office if it can be corrected without issuing a new passport. Good luck 

Your finance will have to start the whole process again. But the passport number doesn't change. They will ask him/ her to do finger print again and get an affidavit from the court house. The passport office too said they have sort passport materials so its delaying now. My friend who has the same problem is just thinking about using the passport and attach and affidavit from the court house. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

They spelled my husband name wrong. He had to sign a affidavit form and repay the fees it took almost 6 months and yes he got a different passport number from his first one

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.