Amina_KSA

Ethnic/Religious Fears...

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Oh that's great then! :thumbs: I wouldn't wish Cairo on ANYONE!!!

LOL!!! I hear that, we saw the horrible lines at the Cairo Embassy!!!! :blink: I can only imagine how SLOW they must be!!!

Although, don't worry, I still got my punishment...I had to spend two ENTIRE (10 hours each) days at the Saudi Embassy...I'm glad I made it out alive!!!

Me: USC DH: Egyptian Citizen

Together we have a beautiful son, born on Christmas day 2007

Filing DCF (IR-1) from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:

July 30, 2008 - Filed I-130 at Riyadh Embassy

August 3, 2008 - I-130 Approved

The embassy let us delay the interview so that my husband would have time to finish his work contract.

November 3, 2008 - Final Interview, APPROVED!!!

The embassy let us wait until late January to submit the passport for the visa so that DH could finish his work contract.

February 9, 2009 - VISA IN PASSPORT!!! (DH's birthdate wrong on visa, embassy keeps it for correction - gah!!!)

February 15, 2009 - CORRECTED VISA IN PASSPORT!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Perhaps I offended some folks, but I'm not really sure how...

I don't believe in "reverse" discrimination, discrimination is discrimination....however I can only speak about our experiences being Muslim.

I don't think it's stupid or unwarranted to have fears about these issues, but I am so glad that there have been so many success stories here, thank you all for sharing the happy information with me.

Insha`Allah we can be on that list one day, and after reading it I'm feeling lucky that we're applying from Riyadh and not from Cairo!!!

Thanks again..Masalaama,

Emily

I think you will be successful!!!! Your case sounds steady and I don't see any immediate red flags for you guys. You will be fine. Sorry I couldn't give you more personal advice about discrimination towards arabs/Muslims, but I just wanted to let you know that it's normal to worry or be scared. The process is nerve-wrecking, but you will find plenty of support, advice, and information here.

Wishing you luck and happiness, Nicole

Animation21.gif

and, yes you are lucky that you are not in Cairo!!!!!!!!!

sycl5.gif

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I don't believe it would be a major problem, but as a result of profiling I would imagine your husband would be the subject of a more detailed background check (my opinion not anything official). Profiling is a very good tool in use by security forces, however it is rather horrible when misused or misinterpreted for example as 'all middle eastern or asian men are terrorists' we know thats not the case, profiling tells us thats not the case but you cannot account for the few that take that view either because of lack of understanding of religion or way of life or just simple racism/biggotry.

Unfortunately since 9/11 profiling has been used on a scale that it was never designed for and sadly many innocent people suffer because of its poor usage. Slowly I think western people (myself included) are getting the message that these acts of violence are carried out by extremists and not your average muslim (or other religionfor that matter).

Just be prepared for it and try to roll with it, your husband will eventually check out and all will be well.

Sorry to ramble :innocent:

Edited by Oath

K3 approved 05/04/07 Leney is happy

If I understand how the name check works, it's not exactly that young men from ME/NAn countries are subjected to more scrutiny, but that their names are more likely to pick up false hits, and hence require more scrutiny.

But in any case, look at the approvals by consulate for the last year, and you'll find thousands of visas out of the middle East and North Africa. It's more scrutiny, but they're not going to say, "oh, Muslim? denied."

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline
Hello/Salaam...

This may sound stupid to some, but hopefully others will understand our concern.

I am an American (born and raised) and my husband is Egyptian...we currently live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia where my husband works. My husband is an Arab Muslim, I am also a Muslim (wear hijab)...

With all of the current problems in the world I have a huge fear that my husband's visa will be denied simply because of his ethnicity and our religion. I know legally they "can't" do that, yet I also know there are many ways that they can find problems and reasons to deny anyones application if they wish to. We are really at their mercy.

Recently when my husband went to renew his visitors visa for our summer vacation the interviewer at the American Embassy asked him many questions that I consider offensive. After seeing that I was wearing a hijab in my passport picture he asked if my husband had "forced" me to be a Muslim and was extremely happy to learn that I had been a Muslim long before I met my husband...he also asked if we met online and made some kind of remark about people meeting online as an "easy ticket to America"...

Although they renewed his visitors visa that experience has left us worried about how we will be viewed while applying for immigration.

It's really a horrible feeling to always have to be on the defensive...constantly being stopped in the airport is one thing, but having our entire future ruined because group guilt is being assigned to innocent people is really an intolerable thought. It always seems that officials are waiting for us to say "no, don't worry...we're not terrorists"...My husband is a gentle, brilliant, amazing human being who would be an asset to any society and it really hurts me to see him treated like a criminal simply because of his race and our religion...*sigh*

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this matter?

Thanks again,

Emily

My now-husband came on a K1 visa. We met on the internet, he is younger then I am, and we are both Muslim. After a rather long AP/AR they granted his visa. As long as you prove validity of your marriage you shouldn't have any concerns.

Filed: Timeline

I agree with Jean.

I am a reverted (yet non practicing) Muslim and my husband is a born (yet non practicing) Muslim, Egyptian born. We had no problem getting the visa. It takes forever (it seems) but in the end we were successful. I'm sure you'll see the same results. Good luck to you.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
I agree with Jean.

I am a reverted (yet non practicing) Muslim and my husband is a born (yet non practicing) Muslim, Egyptian born. We had no problem getting the visa. It takes forever (it seems) but in the end we were successful. I'm sure you'll see the same results. Good luck to you.

Thank you all for your kind advice and words of encouragement...I now of lots of hope and feel so much more confident and positive about the entire process!!!

Me: USC DH: Egyptian Citizen

Together we have a beautiful son, born on Christmas day 2007

Filing DCF (IR-1) from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:

July 30, 2008 - Filed I-130 at Riyadh Embassy

August 3, 2008 - I-130 Approved

The embassy let us delay the interview so that my husband would have time to finish his work contract.

November 3, 2008 - Final Interview, APPROVED!!!

The embassy let us wait until late January to submit the passport for the visa so that DH could finish his work contract.

February 9, 2009 - VISA IN PASSPORT!!! (DH's birthdate wrong on visa, embassy keeps it for correction - gah!!!)

February 15, 2009 - CORRECTED VISA IN PASSPORT!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.