Kan777

Seemingly different questioned asked depending on your input when filing online?

3 posts in this topic

Hey. So in in the process of filing online I noticed some differences on the questions asked vs what other folks have said they experienced under similar circumstances. Been a GC holder 39 yrs (long story lol) so im filing under five year rule. Also married for 38 yrs to an  American born spouse btw. Ive read on this very forum that wedding certificates are not asked for 5 years apps yet it was asked for as a required document. No problem. It also asked for my 35 yr old and 33 yr old American born children birth certs who haven't lived with us for many years. And today to err on the side of caution (and reading countless posts on line) I decided to change the answer to the ever had a citation? question to yes. In  39 years I have had a few moving violations that I cant even remember  that were fines and paid in full. ( Ive read you can go to the DMV and get a complete record of everything regardless of age) After i changed the answer (I had previously completed the whole application with the exception of uploads) it threw a few previous un asked questions about willingness to fight for the US in an armed conflict if required by law and another similar one. Then an oath willingness question. 

So I think the online  system is perhaps designed to ask certain or different questions depended on what the applicant inputs. Im no IT person but it seems reasonable to think  that it could. 

Edited by Kan777
spelling

I think that was a glitch in the application that it skipped those questions for you or you accidentally skipped over a section when completing the application because you’re asked those questions on willingness to bear arms and to pledge oath regardless of your answers to other questions. If you look at the paper version, you are required to answer those questions. I said no to having any citations and still had to answer those questions you’re talking about. 

🇺🇸N-400 Timeline🇺🇸 

2/02/18 Filed Online 

2/02/18 Application Received 

2/03/18 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

2/20/18 Biometrics Completed

5/04/18 Interview Scheduled

6/14/18 Interview (Approved)

7/10/18 Oath Ceremony Scheduled

7/26/18 Oath Ceremony

U.S. Citizen as of July 26, 2018! :)

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kan777 said:

it threw a few previous un asked questions about willingness to fight for the US in an armed conflict if required by law and another similar one. Then an oath willingness question. 

So I think the online  system is perhaps designed to ask certain or different questions depended on what the applicant inputs. Im no IT person but it seems reasonable to think  that it could. 

The questions on Form N400 are the same for everyone (except the parts that don't apply to some people, like questions about children if you don't have any, etc).   Everyone has to serve if required by law and take the oath. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.