-1-

Medical Questions

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

My medical is a few months off, but this has been playing on my mind, probably since Matt and I had talked about me moving. I was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 2013, i went through chemo for a few months and have been in remission for 4 years. I have a few side effects that are managed really well. Will that history be reason to deny our K1? I'm getting letters of my oncologist to bring to the medical. 

Does anyone have a similar history? How did it work out for you? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Lyndsey88 said:

Hi everyone, 

My medical is a few months off, but this has been playing on my mind, probably since Matt and I had talked about me moving. I was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 2013, i went through chemo for a few months and have been in remission for 4 years. I have a few side effects that are managed really well. Will that history be reason to deny our K1? I'm getting letters of my oncologist to bring to the medical. 

Does anyone have a similar history? How did it work out for you? 

I don't have a history but we had our medical 3 weeks ago. Where will you be having the medical, as what is required is specific to where it's carried out. I took a print out of my fiance's health insurance showing how we will be covered by his policy. It sounds like you have everything else in place. They generally want to know if you have communicable diseases, are liable to be a public charge, are a threat of harming yourself or others. Being in remission shouldn't be a problem if you can show how your health needs will be provided for.

10 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

I don't have a history but we had our medical 3 weeks ago. Where will you be having the medical, as what is required is specific to where it's carried out. I took a print out of my fiance's health insurance showing how we will be covered by his policy. It sounds like you have everything else in place. They generally want to know if you have communicable diseases, are liable to be a public charge, are a threat of harming yourself or others. Being in remission shouldn't be a problem if you can show how your health needs will be provided for.

I have to have it in a private hospital in Dublin. That's a great idea about a print out of the health insurance, i wont have thought of that. I'm hoping it will be fine, its always a huge concern that my history could be held against me

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lyndsey88 said:

I have to have it in a private hospital in Dublin. That's a great idea about a print out of the health insurance, i wont have thought of that. I'm hoping it will be fine, its always a huge concern that my history could be held against me

Have you checked the portal for Ireland? Someone may have posted the requirements for Dublin. Try not to stress. It would be very unfair if it was held against you. The only reason in your case would be if they decided you could become a public charge. The future can't be predicted. We could all get ill in the future. Do you know if your fiancé's health plan will cover you once you're married?

Just now, fip & jim said:

Have you checked the portal for Ireland? Someone may have posted the requirements for Dublin. Try not to stress. It would be very unfair if it was held against you. The only reason in your case would be if they decided you could become a public charge. The future can't be predicted. We could all get ill in the future. Do you know if your fiancé's health plan will cover you once you're married?

I need to look at it more. I'm hoping it will be ok, trying to cover all bases to be prepared. He has company health insurance that I'll be going on when i move 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lyndsey88 said:

I need to look at it more. I'm hoping it will be ok, trying to cover all bases to be prepared. He has company health insurance that I'll be going on when i move 

That's perfect. I printed off the cover of the policy & the 2 relevant pages of my fiance's health insurance. His is through work too & we will be covered once we're married. They didn't ask to see it but I had it in case. If you don't find anything on here that's relevant then, if you feel able, consider writing a review at some point for future members. I couldn't find anything relevant for us (my son is autistic). I read all these horror stories about it adds a year to the process or you get flat out denied. We got approved 11 days ago, no problems. I don't know what the other people did to get denied or it took longer for them. All you can do is try to be prepared & give it your best shot. You're being realistic & gathering documents now. I think it won't be held against you. You're healthy now & you can prove it. 

Timeline

I've been looking around, Lyndsey. You may find this helpful: 

"At the Blackrock Clinic in Dublin, you do NOT have to have a case number or an NOA2 in order to schedule your medical. I thought the same thing after reading posts around this forum, but heard from someone else going through the process in Ireland that they were able to schedule the medical whilst awaiting their NOA2. So... I told my fiance to call them and they told him they do not require any case number and the medical is valid for 12 MONTHS. He is currently scheduled for his medical on the 13th and we have yet to receive our NOA2. The receptionist actually recommended he do it ahead of time because they ony schedule the medicals on Wednesdays and are sometimes booked up for months. He called a week ago and August 13th was the soonest appointment they had available.

They require your passport, passport photo and vaccination records if you have them. And it costs 395 Euro.

I know it's confusing, but I have a feeling the medical portion of the K-1 visa varies drastically depending upon the country. But, if the medical for your visa is at Blackrock in Dublin, go ahead and schedule it now! It can really slow down the process if you wait until you receive your NOA2 or Packet 3 to schedule it. Hope this helps!! :)"

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/508003-preemptive-medical-exam/

This information is from 2014 but I couldn't find anything more recent. 

1 hour ago, fip & jim said:

That's perfect. I printed off the cover of the policy & the 2 relevant pages of my fiance's health insurance. His is through work too & we will be covered once we're married. They didn't ask to see it but I had it in case. If you don't find anything on here that's relevant then, if you feel able, consider writing a review at some point for future members. I couldn't find anything relevant for us (my son is autistic). I read all these horror stories about it adds a year to the process or you get flat out denied. We got approved 11 days ago, no problems. I don't know what the other people did to get denied or it took longer for them. All you can do is try to be prepared & give it your best shot. You're being realistic & gathering documents now. I think it won't be held against you. You're healthy now & you can prove it. 

I'm so glad you had no issue with your son, i guess its scary when there has or is medical issues. Fingers crossed. They also changed from Blackrock clinic to The Mater Private Hospital, I'm going to give them a ring over the next few weeks and see what they say. Thanks so much for the help and advice, I really appreciate it. So delighted for you that you've been approved

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lyndsey88 said:

I'm so glad you had no issue with your son, i guess its scary when there has or is medical issues. Fingers crossed. They also changed from Blackrock clinic to The Mater Private Hospital, I'm going to give them a ring over the next few weeks and see what they say. Thanks so much for the help and advice, I really appreciate it. So delighted for you that you've been approved

Keep us updated. It is so encouraging when members can pass down their experiences. You have a wealth of information & experience. I'm so sorry you had to experience this. My mother died from lymphoma cancer. I truly hope you get to live the life you want xxx

On 7/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, fip & jim said:

Keep us updated. It is so encouraging when members can pass down their experiences. You have a wealth of information & experience. I'm so sorry you had to experience this. My mother died from lymphoma cancer. I truly hope you get to live the life you want xxx

I will. It so is, its been great for us to read peoples experiences and time lines so we know what to expect. I chose to look at the positives of the worst situation, cancer brought me Matt, I'd do it a hundred times over for this outcome. I'm so sorry about your mum, I have no don't she was an incredible warrior. 

Have you made plans to head over to the states yet?

On 02/07/2018 at 8:09 AM, Lyndsey88 said:

You want to ask him if you'll be covered as soon as you move, or once your married - different policies have different terms/conditions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.