montgomery

How long to deny case after interview no-show?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, montgomery said:

So what is this letter likely to say?

"Your case was denied because such and such and you have 30 days to leave before you are put into deportation proceedings?"

In short, something like this??^^

From USCIS's webpage on AOS:

If we deny your application, the decision notice will tell you the reason(s) why your application is denied and whether you may appeal the decision. Generally, you cannot appeal the decision to deny an adjustment of status application. Even if you cannot appeal the denial, you may still be eligible to file a motion to reopen or reconsider. Both appeals and motions are filed on Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion. For more information, see our Questions and Answers: Appeals and Motions page.

This webpage has information on what happens after an AOS is denied, might be interesting reading for you:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/marriage-based-adjustment-status-denied-whats-next.html

Most people (who choose to remain in the country illegally after a denial) just ignore any denial letter/NTA received and continue to live out their life under the radar.  Not saying this is the case for your significant other, just mentioning it can be a route chosen by many

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, montgomery said:

It looks like USCIS is now sending out an NTA to anyone that gets a denial and has no other status to fall back on.

Has anyone here gotten a USCIS issued NTA?

How long do they take to send one out?

Per USCIS website, they postponed the issuance of NTA until they figure out a way to properly implement it.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/updated-guidance-implementation-notice-appear-policy-memorandum

"Policy Memorandum 602-0050.1, Updated Guidance for the Referral of Cases and Issuances of Notices to Appear (NTAs) in Cases Involving Inadmissible and Deportable Aliens, was issued on June 28, 2018 and instructed USCIS components to create or update operational guidance on NTAs and Referrals to ICE (RTIs), to be issued within 30 days of the Policy Memorandum.  Issuance of the operational guidance is pending; therefore the implementation of PM 602-0050.1 is postponed until the operational guidance is issued."

05/24 PD
06/18/18 Bio apt
06/26/18 Fingerprint review was completed
09/27/18 RFE for I-864
11/04/18 Sent response to RFE
11/06/18 RFE response was received
11/07/18 Courtesy letter for I-693
11/19/18 Case is ready to be scheduled for interveiw
11/20/18 Interview was scheduled

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, psgma said:

Per USCIS website, they postponed the issuance of NTA until they figure out a way to properly implement it.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/updated-guidance-implementation-notice-appear-policy-memorandum

"Policy Memorandum 602-0050.1, Updated Guidance for the Referral of Cases and Issuances of Notices to Appear (NTAs) in Cases Involving Inadmissible and Deportable Aliens, was issued on June 28, 2018 and instructed USCIS components to create or update operational guidance on NTAs and Referrals to ICE (RTIs), to be issued within 30 days of the Policy Memorandum.  Issuance of the operational guidance is pending; therefore the implementation of PM 602-0050.1 is postponed until the operational guidance is issued."

Thanks!

Is the NTA delivered by post office mail or is it "served" in person?

Timeline
1 minute ago, montgomery said:

Is the NTA delivered by post office mail or is it "served" in person?

Delivered by USPS.  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

I always heard that a denial comes with instructions to leave the country within 30 days of the denial.

The denial letter we got says nothing like this.

It does however say that we have 30 days to file an appeal or motion to have our case looked at a second time to see if there was an error in the decision to deny.

So, do the instructions to exit the country come after the 30 day window to file a motion has closed?

Edited by montgomery

Timeline

No one is going to show up at the home and drag the person onto a plane, if that's what you're thinking.

It is at the discretion of DHS to file the NTA with the court after an I-485 denial. Unfortunately there is no way to predict when they will file it, or if at all.  Ultimately it is the call of the local office as to when or if they wish to file.

As mentioned before, many people simply ignore the denial letter and continue to live out their lives in the US quietly under the radar.

(not something I suggest, of course)

Edited by Going through

Timeline

Of course, a person in this situation may always be reported to ICE,  however a straightforward denial due to only a no-show at an interview would be very, very low on the totem pole in terms of ICE's priorities right now.

On an aside----you'll get much better advice if you are more straightforward about asking whether there's anything you can do to have someone deported, and how to gather evidence/what types of evidence to submit/how to report fraud if you just came out and asked it directly a while back ;)  

You'll also get much better advice if you're on the flip-side of that and hoping your significant other can remain in the country legally and wondering about the avenues open to her.

I understand you are trying to be private, but It can be very difficult/wearisome to properly advise someone when there is a sense of a "cat-and-mouse game" with info (might be why others have dropped out of this thread earlier).  Plus, it's not like any of us here on the internet know who you actually are.  If you want better and more rounded advice, just come out and ask for it :)   Best of luck in your situation.

4 hours ago, Going through said:

On an aside----you'll get much better advice if you are more straightforward about asking whether there's anything you can do to have someone deported, and how to gather evidence/what types of evidence to submit/how to report fraud if you just came out and asked it directly a while back ;)  

You'll also get much better advice if you're on the flip-side of that and hoping your significant other can remain in the country legally and wondering about the avenues open to her.

I understand you are trying to be private, but It can be very difficult/wearisome to properly advise someone when there is a sense of a "cat-and-mouse game" with info (might be why others have dropped out of this thread earlier).  Plus, it's not like any of us here on the internet know who you actually are.  If you want better and more rounded advice, just come out and ask for it :)   Best of luck in your situation.

Straightforward question:

Does a flow chart of what happens after the denial of a i485 exist? If so, I would love to see it. Or if someone in the know could provide one, that would be great.

I am not trying to be cryptic, private, secretive.

I understand that ICE is not going to show up asap. I did not think that nor would I want that.

I just want to know how USCIS handles these cases. There is no appealing the decision, I know that much.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, montgomery said:

Does a flow chart of what happens after the denial of a i485 exist? If so, I would love to see it. Or if someone in the know could provide one, that would be great.

Depends on the reason for the denial.  Cases involving fraudulent marriages differ from cases involving ineligibility in terms of how denials are handled per USCIS's adjudicator's policy manual.

Read their policy manual here and sift through the info to find whatever it is that is applicable to your personal situation:

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Print/PolicyManual-Volume7.html

Best of luck, however you are wishing things to work out.

Edited by Going through

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.