helzie

Immigrating with pets

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband will be coming at the end of the month from London with our dog, Rudi. I have the option of a direct flight, which is £700 or a flight that stops in Detroit and then goes on to Minneapolis. That one is for £343. Obviously there is a big money difference, and we are not rich. I am wondering if anyone has immigrated with a pet and had their connecting flight within the US. I would assume that my husband would have to go through all the POE stuff in Detroit and he would have to recheck his things, which means he would have to recheck Rudi.

I am not really sure, so any info would help!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Personally, I'd take the more expensive flight. The other one may be half the price, but it's double the hassle. Plus, I'd want my animal to suffer the least amount of stress possible and changing flights, enduring 2 take off and landings etc etc will add to the dog's stress.

If there is no other way around it, and direct flights are unavailable, then it is unavoidable. But in this case you have a choice.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
My husband will be coming at the end of the month from London with our dog, Rudi. I have the option of a direct flight, which is £700 or a flight that stops in Detroit and then goes on to Minneapolis. That one is for £343. Obviously there is a big money difference, and we are not rich. I am wondering if anyone has immigrated with a pet and had their connecting flight within the US. I would assume that my husband would have to go through all the POE stuff in Detroit and he would have to recheck his things, which means he would have to recheck Rudi.

I am not really sure, so any info would help!!

Hello Helzie,

why dont you get a flight from Northwest Airlines from LGW to MSP directly... that will cost only 384 GBP .. check www.ebookers.com... i insert LGW-MSP 30May and Return 24Jun......Return flight are always cheaper (Most of the time)..

and your Husband and Rudi will be there in only 08h55min.

Best Regards

Syd

dH4Pm8.png

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I agree with the last post. I took my dog from Gatwick to Tampa via Atlanta with Delta and it was hassle free. The only thing to be wary of is that you might not be able to take the pet out of the carrier until you reach the final destination, so make the trip as short as you can. Also do not use a courier as they are rip off merchants! It costs $100 (£51) to fly the pet as extra accompanied baggage whereas it will be approx $2400 if you us a courier! It is easier to bring your pet than it is to get in yourself. My dog is now happily settled in her new home in Tampa no worse for the journey. I hope it all goes well for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

On a side note, also make sure your husband has Rudi's vaccination record with him when they enter the US, as the CBP will want to see it before they are allowed in. (Just incase you didn't know :thumbs: )

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

oo is your husband moving to Mpls? If so, send him a welcome! (If not, welcome to our general vicinity. :) )

Edited by Alex+R

I would take the shortest possible route for the sake of the dog regardless of price

:yes::yes:

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On a side note, also make sure your husband has Rudi's vaccination record with him when they enter the US, as the CBP will want to see it before they are allowed in. (Just incase you didn't know :thumbs: )

Good advice, however when I brought my dog in all they wanted to know was if I had any food for her so they could take it away. I asked if they wanted to see anything else and they said 'no just the food'. I was almost wishing they would as I had spent so much time and effort making sure all was in order. It almost felt like a let down, it was good to get her over and settled though and I know my fiance feels so much safer having her around for company.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.