Jump to content

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia

hi!! let me tell u my experience: my husband he came with a k-1 visa on december 20/06,well on december 28 he applied for his SSN and he didn't have any problems, they didnt asked for his EAD, and he got his SSN a week later...(he brought his passport & i-94) i hope this can help u figure out.... yuo can go to SSN nearest office and find out.. not all offices are that easy... good luck :thumbs:

**K-1 VISA**

*07.29.05 sent package i-129f to california

*08.02.05 recveived NOA1

*10.17.05 received NOA2

*11.01.05 colombia's embassy received package

*12.05.05 interview date

*12.06.05 recieved VISA

*12.20.05 came to U.S.A!!!!

*12.28.05 applied for a Social Security

*01.05.06 received Social Security card =)

*02.11.06 married....


*03.01.06 sent package for AOS & EAD

*03.03.06 package arrived at unit (Chicago,il 60699)

*03.18.06 NOA1 for AOS & EAD (notice date 03.08.06)

*04.15.06 he had his Biometric taken

*04.17.06 EAD & AOS touched

*05.03.06 AOS touched again & case transfered to CALIFORNIA.

*05.12.06 EAD APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*05.16.06 AOS touched again!!!!!

*05.17.06 EAD approval notice mail it, from USCIS office...and AOS touched again....

*06.12.06 AOS APPROVED

*06.19.06 we received my husband's GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

She could have applied for the SSN two weeks after she arrived. That is what we did with Claudeth arrived. mdyoung will probably give you information about the procedure now. I think you might have to wait to receive a document such as the EAD if you filed the AOS in her married name. We couldn't change Claudeth's name until we received the EAD. Good luck


United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

I had a miserable time of it! Way too long: my moral of the story, keep up with SSA if you aren't receiving anything. Also bring along your marriage certificate to prove change of name if the spouse wants the married name.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Timeline
Hi - My wife arrived on K1, we got married and have filed AOS paperwork. My lawyer has told me I need to wait until the EAD arrives before I can apply for SSN? Any help would be appreciated.

Unless she has been in the U.S. 76 days or more she is still eligible to apply without needing an EAD card. The name under which she applies is another matter. If the marriage certificate has either her age or date of birth, that plus her birth certificate and I-94 should allow her to apply with the married name. If it doesn't she should still be able to apply with the maiden name using her BC, I-94 with her passport.


RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

a. Bride Takes Groom’s Last Name

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband’s last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner’s first names, the bride’s prior surname and husband’s surname. The marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets the criteria described in RM 00203.200G.2.



2. Determine if the ID Document Has Required Information

Ask the applicant to submit one or more documents that show the person’s name AND provide:

Biographical information in addition to the person’s name that the reviewer can compare with the data on the SS-5 (e.g., date of birth, age, or parents' names) and/or

Physical information that the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document must have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the Numident, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).


C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.


Her status must still be verified before an SSN can be assigned.

The status/documents of all aliens must be verified before SSA will assign an SSN and/or issue a card and the 14 day limit applies even if you pass the 76th day while waiting for your status to be verified.

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the assigning

of an SSN and/or issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

If they can verify her status through SAVE with her maiden name this should stop them from sending the G-845:


RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE



1. Name

e. Applicant Has Changed His/Her Name But SAVE Query Response Shows Old


In some cases, the applicant may have changed his/her name after DHS

issued the immigration document (e.g., he/she has married and is now

using the spouse’s last name) but does not present an immigration

document showing the new name. In these cases, the DHS system reflects

the new name only when the person provided the name change information

to DHS and requested to have his/her immigration record changed to show

the new name.

When the SAVE query response shows the old name that is shown on the

immigration document presented and not the new name on the identity

document presented, do not consider this a name discrepancy for

enumeration purposes. See RM 00203.200 when the applicant presents an

identity document in the new name that is more recent than the

immigration document to determine if the identity document is

acceptable. Tell the applicant he/she must report the name change to DHS

so that DHS can update its records.

NOTE FROM ME: Procedure tells the SSA office to tell you to report the name change to DHS, not that it can't be processed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...