CWiggin

Expedite Passport Return after Interview

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm currently registering for my pickup at one of the free pickup locations in the main city of my province but the premium service for $20 is available to a separate address.  I'd rather pickup in the city as I figure this would be quicker than rural delivery however...wondering if a premium delivery is faster to say another family members address.  Anyone with experience on both sides feel free to comment on time.  

Timeline

Unless there is something unusual about your case you will be told your passport will be returned to you via Canada Post. The only cases I have seen where the person was able to pick it up was when a person required a second interview. They try to make it fair as everybody wants their passport back right away.

If your case is straight forward you will get your passport back in as little as 2-3 business days. This happened for my son (2 business days). I was not so lucky and I was put into AP for a 1.5 weeks and got my passport in 2 weeks. It's impossible to predict who gets their passport right away and who does not.

Timeline

I was actually just about to post this question as well - if it's an option to pickup at embassy (sounds like it isn't), or ship to an alternate address, I'd drive to Montreal from Vancouver and just do my POE in Montreal or Toronto enroute to Florida.

If the passport can be at least shipped to an alternate address that wasn't listed in the sponsorship application anywhere, can it be a Canada Post mailbox, which I assume is a PO box address? If so, I can just rent a mailbox in Montreal and wait it out. When does one register the address that the passport is shipped to in the process?

Edited by skyzee

Timeline

One could ask whether you could pick up your passport but I am pretty sure they have to say no. The reason being in case anything comes up with processing. The interviewer told me I'd have my passport in 3 days but clearly something triggered it to go to AP. I have my own opinion on the process after my passport was lost through Canada Post for several days and the amount of stress it caused.

You register for courier services after the NVC schedules your interview (for CR1/IR1). It took me an extra 24 hours after I was given my date/time so don't panic if you can't register for courier services right away.

I opted for having it sent to the closest Canada Post location. I'm glad I did after the fiasco I went through. You could have it sent to a Canada Post location in Montreal (there are several locations listed throughout Canada). When you pick up the passport you bring in your ID to the outlet. You get an email notification when it's delivered.

It's all luck of the draw. My son's passport went from Montreal to Kelowna (Montreal/Vancouver/Kelowna) in less than 2 business days. I could not believe it. My passport was a whole different story. It went from Montreal and then by ground through to Winnipeg. Then it stopped scanning so nobody knew where it was. It showed up to the Kelowna sorting facility exactly a week later (5 business days plus an entire weekend).

Edited by acidrain

Timeline
40 minutes ago, acidrain said:

One could ask whether you could pick up your passport but I am pretty sure they have to say no. The reason being in case anything comes up with processing. The interviewer told me I'd have my passport in 3 days but clearly something triggered it to go to AP. I have my own opinion on the process after my passport was lost through Canada Post for several days and the amount of stress it caused.

You register for courier services after the NVC schedules your interview (for CR1/IR1). It took me an extra 24 hours after I was given my date/time so don't panic if you can't register for courier services right away.

I opted for having it sent to the closest Canada Post location. I'm glad I did after the fiasco I went through. You could have it sent to a Canada Post location in Montreal (there are several locations listed throughout Canada). When you pick up the passport you bring in your ID to the outlet. You get an email notification when it's delivered.

It's all luck of the draw. My son's passport went from Montreal to Kelowna (Montreal/Vancouver/Kelowna) in less than 2 business days. I could not believe it. My passport was a whole different story. It went from Montreal and then by ground through to Winnipeg. Then it stopped scanning so nobody knew where it was. It showed up to the Kelowna sorting facility exactly a week later (5 business days plus an entire weekend).

Thanks again acidrain, very helpful as usual. That makes me feel a bit better that I have the option to head over to Montreal if I want to do a long road trip across.

Canada Post isn't the most reliable carrier, and I do wish Fedex/UPS was an option for something so important. They almost lost our spousal sponsorship package when I sent it to the CIC in Ottawa from Vancouver, causing fits as you have experienced. Hope all is going well for you in the US right now and soooooooooo glad you didn't have to go through this 2137821 week case number waiting garbage on top of waiting forever in Nebraska.

You won't be able to pick up after interview.  It takes them at least a day to get it out.  I received mine the next day but that was 2013 with DHL and Canada post just isn't as fast. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 hours ago, skyzee said:

Thanks again acidrain, very helpful as usual. That makes me feel a bit better that I have the option to head over to Montreal if I want to do a long road trip across.

Canada Post isn't the most reliable carrier, and I do wish Fedex/UPS was an option for something so important. They almost lost our spousal sponsorship package when I sent it to the CIC in Ottawa from Vancouver, causing fits as you have experienced. Hope all is going well for you in the US right now and soooooooooo glad you didn't have to go through this 2137821 week case number waiting garbage on top of waiting forever in Nebraska.

No problem! I would say the vast majority of VJers have their visa issued the next day. Usually it's people who have straight forward cases. My son's fell into this category and it was 11am the next day CEAC said Issued. The scanning information was not available for both cases until mid afternoon. It arrived in the sorting facility in Montreal early evening. I'm pretty sure the Consulate batch delivers as both our visas were handled exactly the same.

I am normally a huge Canada Post fan and my local post office was absolutely amazing. However, I have to say I was shocked over how CP dealt with a lost passport. They waited to see if my pp would show up and did not make an effort to track it down. They had absolutely zero contact information for the Montreal Consulate. Here my Canadian passport/IR1 was floating around and they had no clue where it was. It sounds like it went via ground all the way from Montreal to Kelowna, BC and the driver never scanned it. It made for a stressful 3 days while waiting to see if it would turn up.

It was 13 months total from start to finish for our process. I don't wish this on anybody. Hang in there! Don't be afraid to call NVC and ask to speak to a Supervisor. It feels so strange to be done the process and not to have to stress over everything. It will happen for you! I found once a case number was issued from NVC it was much faster from that point. The weather is smoking hot in Vegas right now and we are glad to be together as a family.

Timeline
On 5/9/2018 at 6:09 PM, acidrain said:

No problem! I would say the vast majority of VJers have their visa issued the next day. Usually it's people who have straight forward cases. My son's fell into this category and it was 11am the next day CEAC said Issued. The scanning information was not available for both cases until mid afternoon. It arrived in the sorting facility in Montreal early evening. I'm pretty sure the Consulate batch delivers as both our visas were handled exactly the same.

I am normally a huge Canada Post fan and my local post office was absolutely amazing. However, I have to say I was shocked over how CP dealt with a lost passport. They waited to see if my pp would show up and did not make an effort to track it down. They had absolutely zero contact information for the Montreal Consulate. Here my Canadian passport/IR1 was floating around and they had no clue where it was. It sounds like it went via ground all the way from Montreal to Kelowna, BC and the driver never scanned it. It made for a stressful 3 days while waiting to see if it would turn up.

It was 13 months total from start to finish for our process. I don't wish this on anybody. Hang in there! Don't be afraid to call NVC and ask to speak to a Supervisor. It feels so strange to be done the process and not to have to stress over everything. It will happen for you! I found once a case number was issued from NVC it was much faster from that point. The weather is smoking hot in Vegas right now and we are glad to be together as a family.

So happy to hear you and your family are finally together again. You had a long hard journey. Can’t wait to reunite with my husband again. Last time he saw our little one, our babe was just five months and now she’s nine months. Definitely not an easy journey. 

On 5/9/2018 at 1:15 PM, skyzee said:

I was actually just about to post this question as well - if it's an option to pickup at embassy (sounds like it isn't), or ship to an alternate address, I'd drive to Montreal from Vancouver and just do my POE in Montreal or Toronto enroute to Florida.

If the passport can be at least shipped to an alternate address that wasn't listed in the sponsorship application anywhere, can it be a Canada Post mailbox, which I assume is a PO box address? If so, I can just rent a mailbox in Montreal and wait it out. When does one register the address that the passport is shipped to in the process?

We made that Toronto to Vancouver drive two years ago. It was a whammy in the gut but so much fun together. Did you get your date yet?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, BCtosunshine said:

So happy to hear you and your family are finally together again. You had a long hard journey. Can’t wait to reunite with my husband again. Last time he saw our little one, our babe was just five months and now she’s nine months. Definitely not an easy journey. 

We made that Toronto to Vancouver drive two years ago. It was a whammy in the gut but so much fun together. Did you get your date yet?

Nope, still waiting for my case number. Almost 10 weeks now.

Glad you've got your date though and your family will be reunited soon. This is hard enough even as just a couple, can't imagine if there are children involved :|

I had my interview on a wednesday last October and I lived in a small town in southern manitoba and paid to have it go there. I got it the following monday it shipped out the day after my interview.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hi, I was wondering what everyone's recent experience has been from receiving  their passport back after their interview? 

1) How long did it take? 

2) Did you have it delivered to your place or postal office (looking for the quickest delivery) 

Thanks! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.