Cmptrsdeal

Maiden Name or Married Name?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance is widowed but ever since her late husband passed, she's been using her maiden name.  When filling out the I-129F,  would I be putting her maiden name and then put her married name under other names used?  Don't want any RFE's by putting the wrong thing.  Greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thank you!

Timeline
4 hours ago, Cmptrsdeal said:

My fiance is widowed but ever since her late husband passed, she's been using her maiden name.  When filling out the I-129F,  would I be putting her maiden name and then put her married name under other names used?  Don't want any RFE's by putting the wrong thing.  Greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thank you!

I asked her more questions and she said she got a passport after he passed away and there she used her maiden name to get it and she had no problem being issued her passport.  Just need a little help please... ;-)   Salamat!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

From I-129F instructions:

6. Evidence of Legal Name Change

If either you or your beneficiary use a name other than the one shown on evidence submitted in support of your petition, you must submit copies of the legal documents (such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order) reflecting the legal name change.

That is at the petition stage.

Then, at the interview stage, the beneficiary will be required to show police clearances in all the names used, for all the countries (except which are considered unobtainable) where the beneficiary resided for six months or more after the age of 16.

It would be a good idea to present or get ready to present the clear timeline of name changes substantiated by documentation. This may be needed to reconcile when the beneficiary was known under which name.

Local consulates should be aware of how name changes normally handled in the particular country. If a court order is required to change name in Philippines then you should have that court order ready; or preload the petition with it, along with certified English translation (could be self-certified).

HTH

Timeline

One more thing: no matter which name you put on the petition, the visa will be issued in the name that matches the passport.

If the name in the passport is wrong or undesirable, fix that first. Definitely plan on having the passport with correct name before filing the DS-160 form.

Edited by OutOfThisWorld

Timeline
1 hour ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

From I-129F instructions:

6. Evidence of Legal Name Change

If either you or your beneficiary use a name other than the one shown on evidence submitted in support of your petition, you must submit copies of the legal documents (such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order) reflecting the legal name change.

That is at the petition stage.

Then, at the interview stage, the beneficiary will be required to show police clearances in all the names used, for all the countries (except which are considered unobtainable) where the beneficiary resided for six months or more after the age of 16.

It would be a good idea to present or get ready to present the clear timeline of name changes substantiated by documentation. This may be needed to reconcile when the beneficiary was known under which name.

Local consulates should be aware of how name changes normally handled in the particular country. If a court order is required to change name in Philippines then you should have that court order ready; or preload the petition with it, along with certified English translation (could be self-certified).

HTH

If when she got her passport, she used her maiden name, cause her husband had already passed.  For example, her maiden name is Eroy and on her passport she got after her husband passed, her passport shows Eroy.  So she's not really using a different name that is shown on evidence submitted.  Would I still have to submit copies of the legal documents if the name she uses matches what is on her passport?

Edited by Cmptrsdeal

Timeline

Is it a real and fully legal passport? If so, you are probably be fine without any extra documents. Somebody familiar with Philippines and how name changes are done there should be able to answer better.

If this a fake passport or a passport issued in circumvention of the legal process (for example through bribery to make issuing clerk close eyes on a missing document), it could be trouble that is not worth risking.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

Is it a real and fully legal passport? If so, you are probably be fine without any extra documents. Somebody familiar with Philippines and how name changes are done there should be able to answer better.

If this a fake passport or a passport issued in circumvention of the legal process (for example through bribery to make issuing clerk close eyes on a missing document), it could be trouble that is not worth risking.

She was planning on working abroad after her husband passed and so she got a passport.  Her family extremely looks down upon doing anything illegal.  They are very religious and they get upset with some of my habits lol  but I understand where your coming from.  I know the Philippines, you can easily get things you should have if the price is right.  Thank you for your response.  I want to make EXTRA sure before I submit the petition..  Thank you again! :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.