garyandkris

Can you bring a travel bag into the embassy?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My husband's staying at a hotel tonight and will have to check out before his interview early tomorrow morning. This may seem like a silly question, but will they let him take his overnight bag into the embassy with him? Or is there someplace he could stash it until after the interview's over?

***I-130***

2006-10-11 I-130 NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

***I-129F***

2006-10-23 I-129F NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

2007-04-30 Interview--Visa Approved!

2007-05-07 Gary arrives in US

208 days from filing to interview

****EAD****

2007-05-15 Sent to Chicago

2007-05-22 NOA1

2007-06-12 Biometrics

2007-09-07 approved! (115 loooooong days)

2007-09-17 card received in mail

My husband's staying at a hotel tonight and will have to check out before his interview early tomorrow morning. This may seem like a silly question, but will they let him take his overnight bag into the embassy with him? Or is there someplace he could stash it until after the interview's over?

When Chris was preparing for his interview he read on the embassy site that you couldn't. So he had the hotel store it for him. :)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline
When Chris was preparing for his interview he read on the embassy site that you couldn't. So he had the hotel store it for him. :)

Thanks. :) I don't know how I managed to miss that info on the embassy site; I could have sworn I had it all memorized by now. :wacko: I've just phoned his hotel to let him know, so I'm hoping they let him keep his bag there.

***I-130***

2006-10-11 I-130 NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

***I-129F***

2006-10-23 I-129F NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

2007-04-30 Interview--Visa Approved!

2007-05-07 Gary arrives in US

208 days from filing to interview

****EAD****

2007-05-15 Sent to Chicago

2007-05-22 NOA1

2007-06-12 Biometrics

2007-09-07 approved! (115 loooooong days)

2007-09-17 card received in mail

Filed: Timeline

Thanks. :) I don't know how I managed to miss that info on the embassy site; I could have sworn I had it all memorized by now. :wacko: I've just phoned his hotel to let him know, so I'm hoping they let him keep his bag there.

Make sure he leaves his mobile, iPod, digital camera, etc. there at the hotel too. He can't take any of that with him either.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Make sure he leaves his mobile, iPod, digital camera, etc. there at the hotel too. He can't take any of that with him either.

You CAN take your mobile or iPod with you, but you have to leave it in a clear plastic baggie at the security hut before you can enter the Embassy. Make sure he notes whether he has any other electronic doohickeys on his person -- I had to leave my keyring at the security hut when I went to visit the IRS this month because I forgot I had a USB Flash drive clipped on it. (D'oh!) So it really is down to whether he feels more secure keeping such items at the hotel or with the Embassy staff.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

You CAN take your mobile or iPod with you, but you have to leave it in a clear plastic baggie at the security hut before you can enter the Embassy. Make sure he notes whether he has any other electronic doohickeys on his person -- I had to leave my keyring at the security hut when I went to visit the IRS this month because I forgot I had a USB Flash drive clipped on it. (D'oh!) So it really is down to whether he feels more secure keeping such items at the hotel or with the Embassy staff.

That's true, but your personal items are stored in a plastic tub that nobody watches and people don't really check to make sure you're taking the right plastic baggie out of the tub. My advice is to leave it all at the hotel.

That's true, but your personal items are stored in a plastic tub that nobody watches and people don't really check to make sure you're taking the right plastic baggie out of the tub. My advice is to leave it all at the hotel.

I agree :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

[quote

I agree :thumbs:

Hmmm...when I was there a few weeks ago it was not a tub it was kept in. They put each baggie into individually numbered cubbyholes accessible only to security staff, and you get a tag assigned to the cubbyhole. But yep, if you feel more confident leaving it at the hotel, do so. I am, of course, a Londoner so my issue was more that I didn't want to be hassled by leaving the normal accoutrements of my life at home for a twenty minute visit. To each his own! ;)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Hmmm...when I was there a few weeks ago it was not a tub it was kept in. They put each baggie into individually numbered cubbyholes accessible only to security staff, and you get a tag assigned to the cubbyhole. But yep, if you feel more confident leaving it at the hotel, do so. I am, of course, a Londoner so my issue was more that I didn't want to be hassled by leaving the normal accoutrements of my life at home for a twenty minute visit. To each his own! ;)

Ah; that's not how it was when I went. If they've changed it to make it much more secure, then fair enough. With the storage available at the time we went, I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving anything there.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When I went in October I was allowed to take my mobile in with me, as long as it was switched off. I did have to leave my lip-salve with the Security Guards though!

Mind you, you've all been there far more recently than I, things have obviously gotten even more security concious than ever!

When I went in October I was allowed to take my mobile in with me, as long as it was switched off. I did have to leave my lip-salve with the Security Guards though!

Mind you, you've all been there far more recently than I, things have obviously gotten even more security concious than ever!

My husband's interview was on September 11th so maybe security was being extra hyper that day, but we didn't get to carry anything in that wasn't required for the interview and the guards did seem to be overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they had to babysit that people brought with them but shouldn't have. We were searched and scanned; everybody was.

Mine was in December, and it was like that too. Was allowed to keep it, just turned off. and I didn't have and other liquids of any kind.

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Never heard of a hotel that WOULDN'T keep your luggage, so he'll be fine :)

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.