Lynyogini

Another Oath Ceremony Question

14 posts in this topic

Hello! Has anyone here got their ceremony rescheduled due to inclement weather? If so, how long did it take and what would be the process like? Did they place you back to "in-line for an Oath Ceremony"? 

My oath ceremony was supposed to be on January 12th in Memphis but it was cancelled due to inclement weather. 

Update: I received an e-mail notification about my oath ceremony. It says that they sent me a notice that I did not attend my scheduled oath ceremony. The mailed notice outlined the steps I must take to reschedule my oath ceremony. 

But I did not missed the ceremony, it was cancelled! I even got a call from the immigration office in Memphis that they are cancelling the event due to snow storm! I even called back the number and asked her what should I do next and she told me I don't have to do anything that they will reschedule it for me. 

I am so confused right now and a little mad. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I'm in the same boat, as several others in Houston. My oath ceremony was on January 17th and was cancelled because of inclement weather. According to the notice on their website and from another member reaching out to USCIS, my understanding is that they will let us know about the new date and we do not have to reschedule it ourselves. I still have no updates on my online case status.

Another member posted today that it was in news that everyone who was suppose to attend 17th January ceremony will be reschedule for February 14th.

My assumption is that the notice you got is just automated and you will get a new oath letter soon. I will try to reach out to USCIS next week if I don't get any updates.

Thanks,

Khawar

Edited by BigK
more explanation

29 minutes ago, BigK said:

I'm in the same boat, as several others in Houston. My oath ceremony was on January 17th and was cancelled because of inclement weather. According to the notice on their website and from another member reaching out to USCIS, my understanding is that they will let us know about the new date and we do not have to reschedule it ourselves. I still have no updates on my online case status.

Another member posted today that it was in news that everyone who was suppose to attend 17th January ceremony will be reschedule for February 14th.

My assumption is that the notice you got is just automated and you will get a new oath letter soon. I will try to reach out to USCIS next week if I don't get any updates.

Thanks,

Khawar

Thanks, Khawar. 

I think you may be right about automated notice. I had to call the 1-800 number about it and she was very helpful and apologetic about it. She said the same thing that it most likely just automated notification. 

This is so frustrating. I was so close to getting my citizenship and then the snow storm happened. I know you understand my frustration, too! But, at least I know that my application is approved and only have to deal with it one more time. 

Enough about me, I hope you hear something about your oath ceremony soon! :) 

Timeline

Just an update that my wife's case is updated online that her Oath Ceremony is scheduled, still the document is not there but seems like they are rescheduling now. I on the other hand still have no updates yet.

Thanks,

Khawar

53 minutes ago, BigK said:

Just an update that my wife's case is updated online that her Oath Ceremony is scheduled, still the document is not there but seems like they are rescheduling now. I on the other hand still have no updates yet.

Thanks,

Khawar

Awesome to hear!! I'm guessing her oath ceremony was also cancelled and received a notification about her ceremony being rescheduled? 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lynyogini said:

Awesome to hear!! I'm guessing her oath ceremony was also cancelled and received a notification about her ceremony being rescheduled? 

Yes, we both had the same Oath Ceremony date and was cancelled.

1 minute ago, BigK said:

Yes, we both had the same Oath Ceremony date and was cancelled.

See, that was the notification that I was expecting to get. But instead I got "Oath Ceremony Needs To Be Rescheduled Because I Did Not Appear". I am really, really hoping it's just an automated thing. 

Update(incase someone is following): I received a I-797C Notification of Applicant's Failure to Appear for Oath Ceremony. Again, It was not like I did not show up or failed to attend, it was CANCELLED due to inclement weather. However, the letter does not have instructions or actions I needed to do. It just said, You will be notified by USCIS of the date, place and time of your rescheduled Oath Ceremony. 

I guess I don't have to do anything then but wait? Ugh... More waiting game. :mellow:

Update: I have been making phone calls since yesterday regarding my oath ceremony. Yesterday, I called Nashville District Court(since I am closer to Nashville) and Memphis District Court regarding the next scheduled ceremony for February. Today, I finally get to talk to an officer and told me to send back the notice and write an explanation as to why I did not appear to my oath ceremony. I mentioned to the officer a couple of times that it was not my fault, that the ceremony was cancelled due to inclement weather. She still recommend me to write a letter and send it to Memphis right away or they will think I am abandoning my case(abandoning?! It wasn't my fault the ceremony was cancelled!!). I then ask her what if I did mail an explanation and request of reschedule after Memphis had already reschedule it for me, wouldn't that make a confusion on Memphis Office's end? Mind you, there were no instructions in the notice I received, it just said that USCIS will notify me with date and time of my rescheduled ceremony. 

But, I did get a call back from Memphis District Court of the next ceremony and it will be on the 15th of next month. Also, Nashville District court called me regarding the next ceremony and the lady said that USCIS Memphis mailed the notice yesterday with date and time of my next oath ceremony. 

So, I went from excited because I get to talk to an officer, to frustrated because I'm going to have to write a letter even though it wasn't my fault my ceremony was cancelled, to happy, to confused... I am going to wait for this notice in the mail and hopefully it will be my scheduled ceremony!! 

I am so ready for this to be over!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry you are going through all this run around. Hang in there, you’re almost at the end.

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 N-400 submitted online

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 NOA mailed

{Day 02}   11/18/2017 Biometrics apt scheduled

{Day 20}   12/06/2017 Biometrics done

{Day 202} 06/06/2018 Interview Scheduled

{Day 207} 06/11/2018 Interview Letter received

{Day 238} 07/12/2018 Interview Day - Approved

{Day 242} 07/16/2018 Oath Scheduled

{Day 266} 08/09/2018 Oath Ceremony - I am a US Citizen!

21 hours ago, NikeS said:

Sorry you are going through all this run around. Hang in there, you’re almost at the end.

Thank you!!! I am trying. 

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I am finally a US citizen as of yesterday!! So relieved that I am finally done with USCIS. The ceremony was short but sweet in an old courthouse building in Chattanooga TN with 37 applicants from 10 to 15 different countries. I am probably the only applicant there with 13 family members. HA! But it was fun to have my family(in-laws) there to celebrate my citizenship. If my original ceremony date wasn't cancelled, it would have been just me, my husband and 3 other family members. So, I guess, the snow storm last month was a blessing in disguise. Plus, Chattanooga was only under 2 hour-drive from where I live as opposed to Memphis which is a 4-hour drive. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.