JDP91

Question about receiving mailed correspondence (e.g. NOA2 hard copy) while living abroad, namely in China

1 post in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hello all!

First, my apologies if this is an obvious question or one that has been answered elsewhere. I spent the last hour or so searching this forum and Google but did not find anything.

I'm currently working as an expat in China and recently got engaged to my Chinese fiancé. I plan to move back to the U.S. after my current contract is finished (mid-summer) and have my fiancé move with me shortly thereafter--which is exciting and a bit logistically nerve-racking at the same time! As I am researching the requirements for, and preparing, my I-129F form, I realized that there is a lot of important correspondence that is only sent by physical mail. In the past, I have had trouble with mail being lost when sent from the US unless it was sent and tracked by an international shipper like FedEx or UPS, especially if the address is not printed in Chinese as well as English. It is also common for mail to be sent with a phone number, and the delivery person will call you before attempting delivery. I do not have a mailbox or the like in my apartment building, so I have most of my mail sent to my office address where there is always a receptionist available to receive delivers. 

So, is there anything I should be aware of to minimize the chance of these documents getting lost in the mail? Would it be OK to list my work address as my mailing address? Should I list a friend's address in the US? List my residential address but provide the address in Chinese in the additional information section? Any insight would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Bonus question since you're here: is it OK if I do not put a street address and phone number in the 'Address in the United States Where Your Beneficiary Intends to Live' question, and clarify in additional information that I am planning to return to the U.S. in the summer and renting an apartment at that time? 

01/22/2018: Filed I-129F

10/11/2018: K-1 Interview (Guangzhou, China) -- approved at last!

02/14/2019: POE

02/21/2019: We're married, baby!

03/29/2019: Filed for AOS, EAD, and AP

02/07/2022: Filed for ROC

12/13/2022: Filed N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.