sarcasemm

19 years old - IR2

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I really appreciate all of the help I’ve gotten on visa journey from my brother’s and I medical up to my questions about GED now I am looking for some answers. 

When we arrived in Texas last December 16, we were told at the POE that Green card will arrive 3-4 months and then a few days after we went to the nearest SSA to apply for our SSN and it turns out that we didn’t have to apply since we’ve already been applied for when we entered the POE last Dec 16 now I’m asking: I am 19, turning 20 in October and I honestly don’t understand how this process will go for me, my brother was 17 when he entered the US and does that mean he is eligible to automatically be a US Citizen? How does that leave me and what steps do we need to do for me tk get Citizenship? Like paperwork we need to file or fees. Does this mean I wouldn’t be able to go to school or get a job after my I-551 expires? 

Really looking forward for answers, thank you!

Edited by sarcasemm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Children with IR-2 visas that are:

• under 18 years old automatically acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry to the United States if they reside in the United States with their parents (U.S. government or military personnel residing overseas may qualify as residing in the U.S.).
  • over 18 years old become permanent residents and receive a green card.

Children with IR-2 visas who did not automatically acquire U.S. citizenship can apply for naturalization when eligible.

Your brother is a citizen and you are a resident and eligible for citizenship in 5 years

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, sarcasemm said:

I really appreciate all of the help I’ve gotten on visa journey from my brother’s and I medical up to my questions about GED now I am looking for some answers. 

When we arrived in Texas last December 16, we were told at the POE that Green card will arrive 3-4 months and then a few days after we went to the nearest SSA to apply for our SSN and it turns out that we didn’t have to apply since we’ve already been applied for when we entered the POE last Dec 16 now I’m asking: I am 19, turning 20 in October and I honestly don’t understand how this process will go for me, my brother was 17 when he entered the US and does that mean he is eligible to automatically be a US Citizen? How does that leave me and what steps do we need to do for me tk get Citizenship? Like paperwork we need to file or fees. Does this mean I wouldn’t be able to go to school or get a job after my I-551 expires? 

Really looking forward for answers, thank you!

Are at least one of your parents U.S. citizens?   If YES .. then what payxibka stated is true.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/ChildCitizenshipAct_022701.pdf

As for your I-551 (green card) you will renew this at the required time.  Not complicated.  You can work and go to school during the processing.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Are at least one of your parents U.S. citizens?   If YES .. then what payxibka stated is true.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/ChildCitizenshipAct_022701.pdf

IR-2 is only issued to a child of a USC

YMMV

Timeline
18 minutes ago, payxibka said:

IR-2 is only issued to a child of a USC

Not really.   An IR-2 is the child of an IR-1 spouse (meaning they were married two years or more).   The USC was married to the Filipina but that does not make him the parent of the child.  They are considered step-children.

Adoption is the other possibility,. 

Some unknowns here.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/family-based-immigrant-visas.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Yes your brother is automatically a US citizen, he can file N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship as a proof when he apply for US passport. You can check the fees here. As for you, you missed that benefit :(, to be eligible you must be admitted to the US as LPR before you turn 18. Because you missed that benefit, you have to wait at least 5yrs or 3 yrs if your marrying a US citizen. Then you can apply for Citizenship.

Timeline

As for the i-551, I think your referring from the stamp on your passport, if so that stamp is only a 1 year temporary proof residency. Your permanent proof will be your green card which is valid for 10 yrs from the date of admittance in the US.

Edited by jm17
correction

Timeline
10 hours ago, jm17 said:

Yes your brother is automatically a US citizen, he can file N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship as a proof when he apply for US passport. You can check the fees here. As for you, you missed that benefit :(, to be eligible you must be admitted to the US as LPR before you turn 18. Because you missed that benefit, you have to wait at least 5yrs or 3 yrs if your marrying a US citizen. Then you can apply for Citizenship.

One does not need to go the N-600 route to obtain the passport (or to prove citizenship), in fact the Dept. of State suggests applying for a passport as a way to provide proof of citizenship.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A4en.pdf

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.