12 posts in this topic

Hello,

As we were preparing the I-751 package to remove conditions, my wife’s wallet was stolen which contained the green card along with other valuables.

We don’t have a copy of the card can we send the package without it along with a letter of explanation and a copy of police report? 

And I would also like to know if a new green card is sent when the conditions are removed or do we have to apply for a replacement anyway? The fee is almost $600 for a replacement. Which is almost as much as the cost of I-751.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

In future, obviously you will remember to make copies of official documents.

For now though,  you need to get some proof of your status for the year (or two) that it will take to process your removal of conditions. USCIS will not send a new copy of an expired green card, and by the time they get to your application for a new card, it will have expired.

You should be able to file I-751 with the police report (and potentially a notarized affidavit saying that your card was stolen). But if I were you I’d try to get the I-551 stamp in my passport, which will act as a temporary green card for ROC and everything else you need a green card for.

You will need the police report and affidavit. Then make an Infopass appointment at your local USCIS office. Bring everything you’ve ever received from USCIS (in case they ask) and all the information about your lost card. Ask them for a temporary I-551 stamp. You may have to explain why filing the I-90 (card replacement) form won’t work (too close to expiry).

Once you have the stamp, make a copy of the bio page of your passport and the page where the stamp is, and you can send that copy to USCIS with copies of the police report and affidavit in lieu of your stolen green card.

Good luck!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Thank you so much for your reply. We will do just that! 

The local field office hasn’t had an available appointment for 30 days almost. We’re just gonna show up tomorrow early and bring all our documents.

We will definately make a copy next time and keep it in the “vault” :)

This stolen wallet incident has been a total nightmare. We can’t get a replacement social security card because we don’t have  the resident card. :/

Thanks again! Many blessings to you!

I'm experiencing something similar at the moment. My wallet was lost/stolen in October and my 90-day window starts on January 24th. I made an infopass appointment in late October or early November and they told me that I should just wait and apply for ROC since I'm doing in so soon anyway. I asked them if I can get a I-551 stamp, but they said that they can't do it before I apply for ROC, but as soon as I do to come back there and I'll get the stamp. It sucks because I need to find a new job and my SSN card is still the restricted one, ugh. 

Let us know how your appointment went and good luck! 

I forgot to add - I filed a police report and I was just told to include it with my ROC application since I only have a copy of the front side of my (lost) green card.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We had our infopass appointment on tuesday. We were denied the I-551 stamp because we didnt have a pending case. 

Apparently, the best course of action is to file the I-751 with all the evidence and the police report along with an explanation letter as to why there isnt a copy of the green card. Then once we receive the receipt letter take that in along with the police report to the local USCIS office to get the I-551 stamp. Btw, we had the letter of explanation for the stolen green card notarized. It only costs $4 at a UPS store.

Does anyone know if it is a requirement to file i-90 immediately if you did not lose the green card within the 90 day window prior to removal of conditions? In about 7 weeks, I will be within the 90 day window to file for i-751. Of-course, I would rather wait than pay to file both i-90 and i-751. However, I am concerned whether a police report indicating that the green card was lost earlier would present a problem.

@AA. No need to file I-90 at all! My green card was lost in October and I just filed I-751 with the police report and the explanation about what happened. I was told during my infopass that the 90 window was very close so it wouldn't make sense to file I-90 since it takes so long to be processed. They just told me to include as much evidence about the lost green card as I can. 

That's right, you'll get a new card but that will probably take a while (over a year). Right now you'll have to wait for your NOA1 letter and with it you can make an infopass to get the I-551 stamp that serves as your proof of your status. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.