10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm not sure how it works for your specific visa as I was a K1, but if you check out others going that route, they might be able to advise you better.

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Go here and read all about it: http://www.ssa.gov/SSA_Home.html

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline

Wouldn't http://www.ssa.gov worked just as well? Plus what help does the SSA Home Page do?

can any one tell me in detail how should i obtain a SSN as fast as possible once i get my immigrantion visa? thanks a lot

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has entered into agreements with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State (DOS) for those agencies to assist SSA by collecting as part of the immigration process the information SSA needs to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. DHS electronically forwards the data to SSA once the person is admitted to the United States (U.S.), to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. SSA calls this data sharing process Enumeration at Entry (EAE).

Individuals age 18 or older applying at a foreign service post for an immigrant visa and alien registration, i.e., completes the Form DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, should answer “yes” to the questions 33a and 33b on the form if he or she wants an SSN assigned or replacement card issued.

The individual should receive his or her original or replacement SSN card within 3 weeks after arriving in the United States. The SSN card will be mailed to the same United States mailing address that is used to mail the Permanent Resident card (I-551).

If you answered “yes” to being assigned an SSN on form DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa and you have not receive your SSN card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the United States, suggest that you go into your local Social Security office.

If you have been assigned an SSN, the SSA office can provide you with the number. However, if you have not received your card within 14 days of your SSN being assigned, normally you will need to apply for a replacement SSN card.

If no SSN has been assigned after 3 weeks or application is found pending, you will need to submit an SSN application (Form SS-5) at an SSA office.

You can obtain the address and directions to Social Security offices from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Be sure to take proof of age, identity, lawful alien status and work authorization when going into a Social Security office to inquiry about the status of your SSN or to submit an application.

Applicants need to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity, lawful alien status and work authorization. Proof of age is not required when applying for a replacement SSN card.

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, we can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes age on our Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes identity on our Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

The unexpired immigration documents I-551 card or Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language establish lawful alien status and employment authorization.

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the above statement and is endorsed with an admission stamp the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2004, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2005. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

An SSN card should be received card in the mail within two weeks after the application and documents have been received and verified when applying within the United States.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents/status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.

New Rules For Getting A Social Security Number And Card:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10120.html

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...=129227,00.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i am getting my immigrant visa in 2 weeks and i wonder how could i get a SSN as soon as possible. first question is where i should apply for the SSN? Can i apply it within the embassy once i get the immigrant visa( was told by a local SSN office)or i should apply it when i cross the border( was told by someone from the US embssy)? second question is how long it will take? i am really confused and i need to get this as fast as i can so my husband can buy the house we have been looking for a long time. thanks a lot.

Wouldn't http://www.ssa.gov worked just as well? Plus what help does the SSA Home Page do?

It was good enough for us

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

In my limited experience with a K-1 visa, it takes awhile to get your SSN. You have to go to the local SS office. If you go too soon, DHS or whoever runs these things, hasn't yet put you in the system and instead of giving you a number they send your info to be checked, which apparently takes forever. I had heard 2 weeks was a good time to wait. We waited almost 3 weeks and still weren't in the system. Its been almost a month since visiting the Social Security office and nothing

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

i am getting my immigrant visa in 2 weeks and i wonder how could i get a SSN as soon as possible. first question is where i should apply for the SSN? Can i apply it within the embassy once i get the immigrant visa( was told by a local SSN office)or i should apply it when i cross the border( was told by someone from the US embssy)? second question is how long it will take? i am really confused and i need to get this as fast as i can so my husband can buy the house we have been looking for a long time. thanks a lot.

When you applied for your CR1/IR1 visa did you indicate that you wanted an SSN to be assigned to you? If it did, then you should receive your number 2-3 weeks after you arrive in the US.

If you did not, then you can go to the SSA with your CR1/IR1 stamp and apply for an SS card. If your CR1/IR1 status is already in the SAVE system, you will probably get your SS card in one week.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mandyyxz, there's no real way to "speed up" getting an SSN beyond having all your necessary paperwork together when you go. That generally means making sure you have photo ID, your proper paper(s) that qualify you for an SSN, marriage certificate, and the like. I was asked for my passport, marriage certificate, EAD (work permit) card, my driver's license and my birth certificate. The BC and DL were both in my maiden name, but constituted photo ID.

I don't know what kind of visa you have, but generally if you go down to the SS office you should be able to apply for it there. Give a week or three, or else you might not be in the system and that can put your application into a slow down or limbo. I had to wait months because I wasn't in SAVE and their search was delayed because some twit in the office forgot to get a signature to send it off. XP

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.