Elethiomel

Adjustment of Status Interview Notice & I-693

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello there all

I just got my Adjustment of Status interview form (dated December 20th but no tracker update, go figure) as well as I-797s for the approval of my EAD and AP in the mail.  My NOA1 date was October 26th 2017 and I entered with a K1 visa.

I was reading the interview and it lists documentation I need to bring with me and it includes the I-693 "Unless already submitted", I did submit a copy of both pages of a DS-3025 marked complete with my AOS (which Knightsbridge provided for me), I'm curious if the Interview notice they send out is just generic and I don't need to do a Medical with a Civil Surgeon, or if I in fact do need to do so?

1 minute ago, TNJ17 said:

You only need to do a new medical if the one you did in your home country has expired. They are valid for 6 months. 

That's not true.

Things are different for a K-1 who is adjusting status. The medical must be dated within 1 year of filing for adjustment of status, regardless of when it's adjudicated. 

If you have not filed within 1 year of the overseas medical then you'll need a new medical. 

That said, does your DS-3025 have it checked that you meet all the vaccination requirement? Not just the note on the second page.

If it doesn't then you'll need a US civil surgeon to transcribe you a new vaccination only medical. I had the same issue with my Knightsbridge medical and was RFEd at interview. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Tom169 said:

That's not true.

Things are different for a K-1 who is adjusting status. The medical must be dated within 1 year of filing for adjustment of status, regardless of when it's adjudicated. 

If you have not filed within 1 year of the overseas medical then you'll need a new medical. 

That said, does your DS-3025 have it checked that you meet all the vaccination requirement? Not just the note on the second page.

If it doesn't then you'll need a US civil surgeon to transcribe you a new vaccination only medical. I had the same issue with my Knightsbridge medical and was RFEd at interview. 

Just to add to this because it has happened to two people at my local office on the Baltimore AOS forum. Once you have filed AOS as a K1 filer the medical is good for one year post filing AOS (if it didn't expire prior to filing AOS). If you have your interview more than 12 months after the AOS date then you may be required to get another one (which is frustrating because it is extra money and time because of a local office backlog)

My office is taking over a year for some interviews and this has been an issue with a couple of K1 filers.

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

8 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

Just to add to this because it has happened to two people at my local office on the Baltimore AOS forum. Once you have filed AOS as a K1 filer the medical is good for one year post filing AOS (if it didn't expire prior to filing AOS). If you have your interview more than 12 months after the AOS date then you may be required to get another one (which is frustrating because it is extra money and time because of a local office backlog)

My office is taking over a year for some interviews and this has been an issue with a couple of K1 filers.

That sucks, because the overseas medical shouldn't expire once you've sent off the I-485.

However, an I-693 form will expire after a year, even if the application is still in progress.

It doesn't surprise me that some adjudicators handle these the same. :(

Timeline

@Tom169 My medical form DS-3025 in the section 2. Summary for Immigrant Visa Applications is ticked in the box labelled "US vaccination requirements COMPLETE" (Requesting a blanket waiver), the medical is dated July 14th 2017. 

I filed for AOS 60ish days after entering the US this summer in August so I'm well within a year at this point. My interview is in late January so the medical shouldn't have timed out.

Edited by Elethiomel

2 minutes ago, Elethiomel said:

@Tom169 My medical form DS-3025 in the section 2. Summary for Immigrant Visa Applications is ticked in the box labelled "US vaccination requirements COMPLETE" (Requesting a blanket waiver), the medical is dated July 14th 2017. 

I filed for AOS 60ish days after entering the US this summer in August so I'm well within a year at this point. My interview is in late January so the medical shouldn't have timed out.

Then you should be good. Take the DS-3025 to the interview and good luck!

Timeline

Thanks, I was amazed by how quick it has been so far! (2 months between NOA1 date and interview notice, 89 days total between NOA1 and interview's scheduled date)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Elethiomel said:

Thanks, I was amazed by how quick it has been so far! (2 months between NOA1 date and interview notice, 89 days total between NOA1 and interview's scheduled date)

That is pretty amazing! You guys are really lucky.

My husband received his EAD/AP card 96 days after NOA. We still haven't heard a word on our GC. We applied in July. We were told 10 months earliest to hear about an interview or waiver from our local office and Baltimore is taking a month to decide after the interview on approval for just about everyone.

Edited by AshMarty

Timeline
1 minute ago, AshMarty said:

That is pretty amazing! You guys are really lucky.

My husband received his EAD/AP card 96 days after NOA. We still haven't heard a word on our GC. We applied in July. We were told 10 months earliest to hear about an interview or waiver from our local office and Baltimore is taking a month to decide after the interview on approval after interview for just about everyone.

I'm sorry to hear you guys didn't get anything about an interview yet, a member of my wife's family actually adjusted through the Baltimore office a few years ago too but I'm not sure how quick it was. I'm guessing my application going quickly is just a case of me happening to live in a place with a relatively efficient local office and few applicants to adjust here in Montana.

Yeah that timeline is pretty amazing. For me it was a year, with things taking about 4 months after interview all because Knightsbridge didn't fill out the DS-3025 correctly.

The form has since been changed and from what you wrote you're on the new style form which should avoid the mistake happening to you. 

Timeline
Just now, Elethiomel said:

I'm sorry to hear you guys didn't get anything about an interview yet, a member of my wife's family actually adjusted through the Baltimore office a few years ago too but I'm not sure how quick it was. I'm guessing my application going quickly is just a case of me happening to live in a place with a relatively efficient local office and few applicants to adjust here in Montana.

He has his EAD/AP papers so we are content for now. My husband got a job he really loves, and can work finally :) He has lived in the area for 4 years before moving back and has a lot of good friends in the area, so I think our adjustment has been easier than most.

But it would be nice to know what is going on with the Baltimore office... haha.

Good luck with everything!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.