synthrian

MMR vaccination requirement in Singapore

17 posts in this topic

Hey, I was reading this thread: 

One of the posters mentioned that she checked with the doctor and that even if one had 2 shots of MMR as a child, one would be required to take the shot again at the clinic (recent prices from timelines indicates that the shot will cost $75 at the clinic). The updated maximum cost they quoted me was $600!

I went to a polyclinic last week and they insisted that I do not need any more MMR shots as I have had 2. I called the Fullerton clinic and asked about this, and the person on the line (not the doctor) asked when I had the shots. I told him I had them in 1993 and 2003, and he said if I have the records, I can skip it. 

Would just like to find out anyone else's recent experiences with this, or any differing information. I do NOT want to be surprised with a $75 shot when the polyclinic can do it for $20, with  a $6.90 consultation fee!

Thanks!

13-Mar-18 - POE

27-Apr-18 - Green card received

13-Jan-20 - Mailed out I-751 packet

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

12-Feb-20 - Biometrics appt completed; Status: Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken

07-Oct-20 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

06-Jul-21 - Interview scheduled

• 2 weeks later...

Had my medical today - contrary to what I was told on the phone, the nurse today said any vaccination record older than 10 years is invalid. So if you are planning to take the mmr elsewhere and are asked why you need more than the 2 standard childhood ones, you can tell them this is what the clinic said specifically. I tried to get it in writing but they never responded to my email. The shots needed for my age group were dtap, mmr, flu and varicella, but the last 2 were not needed for my case. I had a tetanus jab already but they need the combined one (booster). Bill was 502.90.

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

12-Feb-20 - Biometrics appt completed; Status: Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken

Thank you for the information! I am waiting for my NOA2 (My PD is 24 August 2017 at Potomac) but I am really trying to keep myself familiarised with the next few steps so I will be fully prepared. It sounds a little ridiculous at this point but I really hope I will be ready with visa in hand by July next year because we did a courthouse marriage in June this year (just me and my husband) and we are planning a vow exchange ceremony and reception next August so that friends and family can be there.

9 hours ago, ms_bobdog said:

Thank you for the information! I am waiting for my NOA2 (My PD is 24 August 2017 at Potomac) but I am really trying to keep myself familiarised with the next few steps so I will be fully prepared. It sounds a little ridiculous at this point but I really hope I will be ready with visa in hand by July next year because we did a courthouse marriage in June this year (just me and my husband) and we are planning a vow exchange ceremony and reception next August so that friends and family can be there.

No problem! My i-130 was processed at

Potomac too! I think it's possible to get the visa within 12 months if nothing goes wrong. In my case, there was a delay at NVC because they didn't recognise our payment. Furthermore, it's holiday season now so I'm guessing that's why my interview date (24 Jan) is so much later than my approval date (2 Nov). Good luck with your application and feel free to ask me any questions. Singapore-specific info is not easy to come by since there aren't very many SG cases at any one time. 

BTW there's a typo in my previous post, the combined dtap shot is Boostrix, not booster. 

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

2 hours ago, synthrian said:

No problem! My i-130 was processed at

Potomac too! I think it's possible to get the visa within 12 months if nothing goes wrong. In my case, there was a delay at NVC because they didn't recognise our payment. Furthermore, it's holiday season now so I'm guessing that's why my interview date (24 Jan) is so much later than my approval date (2 Nov). Good luck with your application and feel free to ask me any questions. Singapore-specific info is not easy to come by since there aren't very many SG cases at any one time. 

BTW there's a typo in my previous post, the combined dtap shot is Boostrix, not booster. 

I felt a little lonely for a bit till I saw your post and I was like, hey, there's an SG case I can look at! Indeed, there are very few of us. Yeah, I saw you had a delay at NVC and also your interview date is late, so I am really just hoping and hoping that nothing goes wrong and I can have everything in hand by late July so I still get slightly over 2 weeks to go and do some last-minute stuff for the reception. It would totally suck if I have to cancel or postpone it.

For the medical, I had intended to just go to the appointed doctor and get everything done there rather than go through the hassle of getting shots elsewhere, but if I understand your post correctly, I can actually get my MMR shots at a polyclinic now because as long as it is within 10 years it would still be valid, right?

3 hours ago, ms_bobdog said:

I felt a little lonely for a bit till I saw your post and I was like, hey, there's an SG case I can look at! Indeed, there are very few of us. Yeah, I saw you had a delay at NVC and also your interview date is late, so I am really just hoping and hoping that nothing goes wrong and I can have everything in hand by late July so I still get slightly over 2 weeks to go and do some last-minute stuff for the reception. It would totally suck if I have to cancel or postpone it.

For the medical, I had intended to just go to the appointed doctor and get everything done there rather than go through the hassle of getting shots elsewhere, but if I understand your post correctly, I can actually get my MMR shots at a polyclinic now because as long as it is within 10 years it would still be valid, right?

Yup, the MMR and whatever else you might need has to be taken within the last 10 years to be valid. Flu shot has to be within a year as it's annual. Best to call the polyclinic and check if they carry the other shots you need. Polyclinic might try to ask you to do a blood test instead of the MMR shot, to prove you're covered. I'd say do whichever's cheaper but probably safer (acceptability wise) to insist on the shot. 

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

7 minutes ago, synthrian said:

Yup, the MMR and whatever else you might need has to be taken within the last 10 years to be valid. Flu shot has to be within a year as it's annual. Best to call the polyclinic and check if they carry the other shots you need. Polyclinic might try to ask you to do a blood test instead of the MMR shot, to prove you're covered. I'd say do whichever's cheaper but probably safer (acceptability wise) to insist on the shot. 

I will definitely insist on the MMR shot-- don't want any surprises at the clinic! Will also call the polyclinic and ask about boostrix. I have already had chickenpox as a kid, so do you happen to know if I would still need varicella? I will wait to do the flu jab at the medical itself, I think.

Just now, ms_bobdog said:

I will definitely insist on the MMR shot-- don't want any surprises at the clinic! Will also call the polyclinic and ask about boostrix. I have already had chickenpox as a kid, so do you happen to know if I would still need varicella? I will wait to do the flu jab at the medical itself, I think.

You'll need to prove you've had it with a varicella IgG test; at least that's what I did. I couldn't find any medical record of me having chickenpox, and now I'm not even sure if an old record would be accepted! 

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

7 minutes ago, synthrian said:

You'll need to prove you've had it with a varicella IgG test; at least that's what I did. I couldn't find any medical record of me having chickenpox, and now I'm not even sure if an old record would be accepted! 

Many thanks for the info!

Many thanks for the info!

You're welcome! 

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

14 minutes ago, synthrian said:

You're welcome! 

Just got an appointment at the polyclinic to take my shots in January! I see that you are going to be based in Bloomington, IL! I will be in western Illinois when I move! Keep me posted on your interview and all the best!

Just got an appointment at the polyclinic to take my shots in January! I see that you are going to be based in Bloomington, IL! I will be in western Illinois when I move! Keep me posted on your interview and all the best!

Great! Awww man! My husband was in Illinois when we applied, but we're actually moving to Denver once this is done. Will keep you updated, and thanks! 

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2017 at 2:08 PM, synthrian said:

Hi Synthrian,

May I ask if your varicella blood test was valid when you had the medical exam?

And will there be any issue if we re-take the MMR again now but we actually had when we were young?

So how much did you pay for your medical exam in total at last if you don't mind to share.

Thank you!

I751:

Mailed: 3th May 2021

Delivered: 5th May 2021

Rejected due to missing signature: 26th May 2021

Resend: 26th May 2021

Delivered: 28th May 2021

On 3/13/2018 at 10:26 PM, allisonf said:

Hi Synthrian,

May I ask if your varicella blood test was valid when you had the medical exam?

And will there be any issue if we re-take the MMR again now but we actually had when we were young?

So how much did you pay for your medical exam in total at last if you don't mind to share.

Thank you!

Hi there, 

I had the varicella test done the same year and it was valid, so I got to skip the vaccination. As for the MMR, I'm not sure about any potential risks of taking it again as an adult after the childhood shots. You should check with a doctor if you're concerned :)

In total I paid just over 500 sgd. 

13-Mar-18 - POE

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

3 hours ago, synthrian said:

Hi there, 

I had the varicella test done the same year and it was valid, so I got to skip the vaccination. As for the MMR, I'm not sure about any potential risks of taking it again as an adult after the childhood shots. You should check with a doctor if you're concerned :)

In total I paid just over 500 sgd. 

Hi Synthrian,

Thanks for your reply!

Oh my god, 500 sgd?!

How come it is so expensive? You took the MMR again and a Boostrix for Tdap? Then plus the exam fee and consultation fee which adds up to 502SGD?

Thanks!

I751:

Mailed: 3th May 2021

Delivered: 5th May 2021

Rejected due to missing signature: 26th May 2021

Resend: 26th May 2021

Delivered: 28th May 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.