Peot

Looking for residence evidence

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, I'm working with my spouse to complete the Affidavit of Support and we hit the part about income.

I, the beneficiary, currently DO have an annual income and it WILL continue after I have become permanent resident.

On the instructions it says that I do not have to provide an I-864A but that I must provide evidence that the income will continue AND that I am currently residing in my spouses residence. 

Getting the first part is easy. I am working to get letterhead written up that will show income via foreign source through the year, AND I am working on obtaining the job offer I had in the US.

How though I can prove that I am at the same residence as my spouse? I do have a drivers license that shows the address... is this considered enough if I provide both of our drivers licenses as proof of our address?

I also have a US joint bank account with my spouse that I believe will show our address if I get them to do a printout of the account. Is this necessary with the above?

Thanks!

*is your name on the apartment lease / mortgage docs/deed? 

*do you have a utility bill in your name? we intentionally put gas/electric in mine, and cable and now water in my husband's

*other bills in your name that came at that address? 

I think the DL is pretty good evidence. If you don't have lease/deed, you may want to do a combination of 2 docs

Yeah definitely no lease / bills jointly in our names. Even so, in today's world we pay 100% of our bills online.

Either way the bills come out of our joint bank account, but again I'm wondering if that would be good evidence to support the address.

I do have one paper credit card bill that comes to my address here, but do I really want to include the entire credit card statement? That seems like a bit of an invasion of privacy for me.

the point of having a utility bill is that it proves you're paying utilities for this address. Whether you pay it online or by mail is irrelevant. utility bills are almost never in both names, so that's why most ppl recommend to put one in one name and the other in the other spouse's.

What did you use to prove residence for your DL? that could be something to reuse.

Or the first page of the CC statement with the numbers blacked out except for last 4 or so. If you think that's invasion of privacy... welcome to USCIS which will know your everything.

You may be just fine with the DL and the joint bank statement. If they want more, they'll send you an RFE.

For the driver's license, funny enough I literally had a piece of paper about car importation that happened to have my name and address on it. I didn't know I had to have evidence of residence at the DMV, so was lucky enough to have that with me. They accepted it, but honestly it looked like something I could have printed out with MS Word.

I don't really care about sending the CC, even with the numbers intact, if that's what it takes, so I'll likely just go that route.

It just seems odd to expect that there will be bills in my name when, while I'm filing the AOS and EAD, I don't have permission to work and gain an income in the US, plus getting most of these services in your name require a credit check which I guarantee I have no history for (so wouldn't be approved for) based on my shiny new SSN.

Beyond that, they can always drive down to the house where I will happily greet them at the door. :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.