LNY

Original Certificate of Death

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Dear Friends,

To get the interview scheduled at the US Embassy where I live, I must show the original or original certified copies by the issuing office for certificate of death. The problem is my fiance only sent me the fotocopy certified death certificate, not the original certified one. He couldn't send me the original certified one because the original certificate is not done yet. Now it is still in processing about almost 2 weeks, but not done yet. Need your :help: please, if you know: How long is the process of death certificate in the US ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dear Friends,

To get the interview scheduled at the US Embassy where I live, I must show the original or original certified copies by the issuing office for certificate of death. The problem is my fiance only sent me the fotocopy certified death certificate, not the original certified one. He couldn't send me the original certified one because the original certificate is not done yet. Now it is still in processing about almost 2 weeks, but not done yet. Need your :help: please, if you know: How long is the process of death certificate in the US ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Original certificate of the death of whom, your fiance's wife? If that is the case...how is it that your fiance had a photocopy but not the original? A photocopy implies that a copy was made of the original. Why didn't your fiance just send you the original of this certificate, instead of the copy? Your question is a little confusing....once someone passes away, and a ruling is made as to the cause of death (like death due to an accident, or some sort of sickness) a death certificate (which is the original) is given to the next of kin of the deceased. If, for example, that original certificate is lost, a person can contact the applicable office (in this case I think it would be the bureau of vital statisticsin the city/county your fiance lives in) and have a certified copy mailed to him/her. I am not sure of the length of time this takes, but I cannot imagine it taking more than a couple of weeks to have a certified copy mailed out to the requestor.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Based on what I read it sounds like you're talking about your fiancée's death certificate, which is a little creepy. If it's for his wife, then that's still kind of creepy since the death certificate has not been issued yet and he's already engaged to you...?? Your choice and order of words do not make sense of what you need to ask. Sorry. :rolleyes:

When my father passed away 5 years ago we had the death certificate 3 days after his funeral.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Timeline

Slow down people.

You can request a certified copy of an official document from any repository at any time. Immediately after the event or 100 years later.

Just because somebody requests a copy of a death certificate doesn't mean the death recently occurred. It might mean they never before had cause to need a certified copy.

The copy of a death certificate one receives after a death will need to be entered into the legal record. In many cases the funeral home sees to that as part of their services. One can possess a death certificate, but unless it bears 'clock marks' or some sort of seal from the proper authority in that jurisdiction, it is not a part of the legal record - which is what USCIS/DOS is looking for.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Timeline

Dear Rebeccajo, Mononoke28, and Paula&Minya

Thank you for your advice about this issue.

Actually, my fiance's wife died about a year ago. I attached the photocopy of my fiance wife's certificate of death I have.

According to his information, he just has it; that's why he gave me this photocopy. Since the US Embassy is asking the original one or the original certified photocopy one, so he is ordering it via internet. He said the delivery took about 4-5 days. Now, it is almost 2 weeks, but the original one is not ready nor received by him. Honestly, I don't understand at all, especially about the processing of certificate in the US. In my country, it just takes about a week, then done. I just browsed in the internet, it said the process would be less than a week.

If you can see the attachment above, please tell me: Is the certified death certificate like that one ? Or is it just the temporary death certificate ? I don't think the attachment is such the original one. Am I right ?

Edited by Phillip & Lan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is true when it comes to these type of records. My sister requested a copy of her divorce decree and they told her it would take about 3-4 days, well it actually took close to a month.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Based on what I read it sounds like you're talking about your fiancée's death certificate, which is a little creepy. If it's for his wife, then that's still kind of creepy since the death certificate has not been issued yet and he's already engaged to you...?? Your choice and order of words do not make sense of what you need to ask. Sorry. :rolleyes:

When my father passed away 5 years ago we had the death certificate 3 days after his funeral.

I am totally confused! :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.