Chime19

Multiple addresses question?

4 posts in this topic

So, we are working on our i-751 for my husband. (I'm the US citizen, he's the applicant). 
Question 22 says "Have you resided at any other address since you became a permanent resident?"

We have, but we did not submit a change of address because our living situation here has been somewhat volatile and we maintained my parents address (also our first address) for most legal documents.  It's in another city, but within the same state, and we go back and forth frequently. I still work for an organization in the original city, though I work from home.

All our bills still go to that address, and my drivers license is still there, although my husband's has been changed to the new city. But evidence such as the lease on our apartment here is in both of our names, and would be helpful for proving our married status. We've technically been at the new address for about a year.

Are we going to face a lot of questions or negative consequences because of this?   We still plan to list my parents' address as our mailing and physical address, but should we maybe put our new address as our physical address?  Is that going to get us in trouble because we didn't submit a change of address form to USCIS?  

Anyone else have any experience like this?

ROC:

11/14/17 I-751 Package mailed (Vermont)

11/15/17 Package delivered

11/17/17 NOA1 date

11/25/17 NOA1 received in mail

K1 Visa process:

9/11/14 I-129F Packet Received by USCIS
9/15/14 NOA1 (text)
9/16/14 Status Update: Alien Registration # Changed

5/11/15 NOA2 (8:30 pm text, 238 days since NOA1)

6/09/15 Consulate Received (had to call embassy to check)
6/12/15 Packet Received
6/18/15 Packet Completed
(had to call/visit embassy to schedule interview)

7/09/15 Interview Completed- APPROVED!! (after delay for US system errors, and rescheduling/postponing 3 times)

7/16/15 Visa In Hand (told to "come back tomorrow" first two times they said it would be ready)

7/18/15 POE Washington, D.C.

8/1/15 Legally Married
8/13/15 Filed for AOJ (also EAD and Travel)

8/20/15 NOA1 for all 3 filings

9/08/15 Bio Appt

9/26/15 Wedding Ceremony!

10/16/15 EAD and AP Approved

10/23/15 EAD Card Received

11/23/15 AOS Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview, no warning- completely unexpected, but so exciting)

I have somewhat similar situation. We actually live in 2 different states, so there is 2 separate leases (Me and my wife in both leases). 

To make it a little worse, my wife is a resident of one state and I am of second (we work in different sates and constantly traveling to first or second state)

Our lawyer wrote an addendum (explanation) letter that we included in our ROC package, that describes that our jobs require us to be in different states time to time, therefor we have 2 different residences.

Will we face negative questions? - Probably, but you have a good way to explain it, and it is certainly better than lie about it...

I have not received any questions/decisions so far, so cannot say for sure if this creating any issues...

Right now I'm leaning towards listing the new address as my own current physical address, but leaving his mailing and physical address as our original address. Then I'm answering the question 22 affirmatively and listing the address and explanation in the "Additional Information" section. 

This way both addresses are accounted for, but I explain that we have both been back and forth, and maintain a residence in both locations, but  consider the original address our permanent address and our mailing address. 

ROC:

11/14/17 I-751 Package mailed (Vermont)

11/15/17 Package delivered

11/17/17 NOA1 date

11/25/17 NOA1 received in mail

K1 Visa process:

9/11/14 I-129F Packet Received by USCIS
9/15/14 NOA1 (text)
9/16/14 Status Update: Alien Registration # Changed

5/11/15 NOA2 (8:30 pm text, 238 days since NOA1)

6/09/15 Consulate Received (had to call embassy to check)
6/12/15 Packet Received
6/18/15 Packet Completed
(had to call/visit embassy to schedule interview)

7/09/15 Interview Completed- APPROVED!! (after delay for US system errors, and rescheduling/postponing 3 times)

7/16/15 Visa In Hand (told to "come back tomorrow" first two times they said it would be ready)

7/18/15 POE Washington, D.C.

8/1/15 Legally Married
8/13/15 Filed for AOJ (also EAD and Travel)

8/20/15 NOA1 for all 3 filings

9/08/15 Bio Appt

9/26/15 Wedding Ceremony!

10/16/15 EAD and AP Approved

10/23/15 EAD Card Received

11/23/15 AOS Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview, no warning- completely unexpected, but so exciting)

4 minutes ago, Chime19 said:

Right now I'm leaning towards listing the new address as my own current physical address, but leaving his mailing and physical address as our original address. Then I'm answering the question 22 affirmatively and listing the address and explanation in the "Additional Information" section. 

This way both addresses are accounted for, but I explain that we have both been back and forth, and maintain a residence in both locations, but  consider the original address our permanent address and our mailing address. 

This is exactly how we done it. I think it makes sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.