KaneLumski

Enter with CR-1, travel on LPR status question

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

My husband has an interview on 31 Oct. We had already been planning to enter the US in early December for a long vacation, but if the interview is successful, we will be using that time as prime job hunting and application processing as well as setting up our residence.

I understand he will be entering on a CR-1 visa and will get an I-551 (temporary green card stamp) in his passport. However, we want to know if he will be able to go back to his home country after just that 1 month in the States to wrap up stuff at his old home (selling cars, closing bank accounts, etc). The proposed return back to the home country would be early January, and unfortunately, we don't know if his green card will be mailed by that time.

Basically, my questions are:

1. Can my husband travel back to his home country after entering on his CR-1 visa? *For maximum 4 months only to wrap up affairs*

2. Will he automatically get an I-551 in his passport at POE?

3. Can he come back into the States with just the I-551 if the physical GC is not in hand?

4. Should we put off his interview until after the December trip? *If you have any pros/cons to mention, we would welcome them*

I'm hoping I explained it all very well, but of course, I could just be very muddled. We want to do the interview sooner rather than later. Knowing if we are going to the States will put my mind at ease and give us a direction (for example, looking at jobs over there rather than getting another visa for me to live in his home country).

Thanks for all the help! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

1/2/3 - all yes

4 - your call

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

5 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

1/2/3 - all yes

4 - your call

Thank you so much! I just read in another forum the same, but this process is making me a bit insane. 

6 minutes ago, Auds said:

Same answer for your reassurance.  It's what I did - no issues

Thank you too! It's so reassuring to hear when people go through the same thing. 

17 hours ago, Confusedtinybird said:

Yes won't be a problem.

P.S. I see your country is South Africa if you have any questions about the interview or anything else PM me!

Thanks @Confusedtinybird!

Expect a message soon! :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.