Jaytee404

My AOS through marriage Interview experience

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

I just wanted to share my interview experience since while I was waiting for my interview to be scheduled this page helped me alot.

My interview was scheduled for Sept 26th 2017 in San Jose,.CA for 9am.

First and foremost we were 12 minutes late,  second I didn't have my passport with me ( I had lost my passport 3 weeks prior to my interview). I applied for a replacement which was sent 5days prior to my interview through DHL express, it was supposed to be delivered on the 25th but was stuck at customs in L.A ( I did not sleep, I was panicking)

Anyway, I decided to go to the interview still even if I was gonna be turned away.  We were at security by 9:12am 😓, they let us in, and told us to wait  ( 5 people ahead of us,  so pheww). The interviewer called my name at 9:42am. He smiled and greeted us, asked how our morning was going as he walked us to his office ( I relaxed then because he was friendly and cheerful).

He swore us in and asked us to sit. He asked me to say my full name, then asked for my ID, then asked my husband for his.  He then asked for my passport and I told him I didn't have it and the whole story of why and handed him tracking details and police report, he didn't even look at it,  but asked if I had a copy of my old one or copy of I-94, which I did and he looked at them and said that's good enough..phewww! He asked my husband what my name was,he asked me what my husband's name is, he asked me how old my husband is and when his birthday is and he asked my husband the same about me. He noticed our bdays are a day apart and he was like nice, so how do you celebrate? We said apart, and he said if you have one birthday you will save more money lol. He then moved on to the no questions about terrorism etc ( it was so funny because he has humor and was making funny faces and laughing with us). He asked if i was arrested, i said yes for dui, he wrote that down and asked if i was in a jail or detox,I said detox for 2 hours, if im still on probation and how much I had to pay. He asked if I learned my lesson and i'm nolonger taking such risks, I agreed and assured him and he said good.He then asked how I got to the US, what visa, date, port of entry, when I left and re-entered.  What I'm doing with my life and school. He noticed that I fell out of status,  so he asked for those dates and time frame, then asked if I plan to graduate and so we talked about that and my job. He asked my husband where btw worked,  whay my father's name was and what year her passed away, he asked him where I was born (city) where muy mom lives, what her name is and how old is she. If he spoke to her and when last. He asked me the same about muy husband and his parents ( he was basically asking all the questions from the biographical page) which we both didn't get right,  especially when it came to parents ages, he encouraged us to guess atleast and we were all just smiling. He then asked me to sign the form that I had answered.  He then asked me to tell him how we met, where, when,  did he propse, when did the relationship get serious, first date, where we ate. When we did our first anniversary, our last trip together,  when we moved in together ( I made a mistake there,  I wrote down the time we were partially living together but answered the date we got on the same lease) he challenged me on thst and I explained the confusion, which he said no worries I understand how that happened. He asked my husband what our joint sponsors name is ( which he said he just referes to him as grandpa as I do) and then he laughed. He asked me for documents that have both or names on, I handed him or savings account and checking,  medical insurance forms, cable bill, pictures  ( I was giving him one at a time and he kept asking "what else" until there was nothing else). He scanned the bank statements closely.  He asked who came to our wedding, what we did after, he pointed at a bbq group pic and asked my husband what my friend's husband's name is, my husband can't pronounce his name right ( difficult African name) so he explained to the officer how he calls him bra and not his name because he doesn't want to disrespect him.. He laughed so hard about the bra part.

He looked at a picture of us at brunch, he liked it and said we are a good looking pair, he asked where we were and how looking ago that was.  

He looked att everything and said that's out guys, everything looks good, I'm a new interview only 3 weeks here and I'm not authorized to approve anyone on the spot yet, and my supervisor will have to go through the file to see if I got all the documents required, but everything looks good so far, I'll recommend you for a green card,  it just had to go through him and you should receive your card in 2-4weeks. He wished me luck in school, shook our hands and walked us out. 

It was so pleasant to have him interview us,  he was so friendly and shares my husband's sense of humor,  it felt like we were having a chat with one of our friends.

Ps: he asked us to show him a text we shared September 15th * we didn't Havre phomes as the letter said no cellphones allowed* he said he thought they were allowed because a few people in the wait area had them. 

It's been 2days since my interview and my case status still says as of Aug 25th nterview has been scheduled.

Congrats! The online system doesn't always update. It depends on the officer and I'm guessing that officer was new. Just wait for the mail, that's the only sure fire way of knowing the result! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Congrats :) it was good reading your experience ...i didnt understand the last part..he asked you guys to show him the text message from your phone ?? Now they started looking into texts and calls ?

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Timeline
11 hours ago, Jordan8768 said:

Congrats! The online system doesn't always update. It depends on the officer and I'm guessing that officer was new. Just wait for the mail, that's the only sure fire way of knowing the result! 

Oh wow, good to know. Thank.you very much

Timeline
10 hours ago, Aviinashh M said:

Congrats :) it was good reading your experience ...i didnt understand the last part..he asked you guys to show him the text message from your phone ?? Now they started looking into texts and calls ?

Yes, he asked if I was working that day,  I said I've been on 2weeks vacation.  He then asked the date I was last at work, then asked if we text each other through out the day, we said not really unless I'm out the house and he needs something, then he asked if we can show him a text we exchanged on the 15th. I guess people do take their phones to the San Jose office.  While we were waiting to be called,  a security guard did come into the waiting room and asked those who had their cellphones on to turn them off and reminded them that phones aren't allowed. He was new, so he probably thought phones were allowed and that's why he asked.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 29/09/2017 at 1:28 AM, Jaytee404 said:

Yes, he asked if I was working that day,  I said I've been on 2weeks vacation.  He then asked the date I was last at work, then asked if we text each other through out the day, we said not really unless I'm out the house and he needs something, then he asked if we can show him a text we exchanged on the 15th. I guess people do take their phones to the San Jose office.  While we were waiting to be called,  a security guard did come into the waiting room and asked those who had their cellphones on to turn them off and reminded them that phones aren't allowed. He was new, so he probably thought phones were allowed and that's why he asked.

Ah ok...that explains it....i was thinking that they are getting into our personal messages and calls too..anyways congrats once again :) 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.