Kat&J

Question regarding regisitration of marriage in USA

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Recently married in Thailand.

Embassy states must register in USA with AG of state..

****QUESTION...Is this registration with AG needed if applying for a CR-1/IR-1?

Does the CR-1/IR-1 Application and Visa notify the USA that I'm married? Confused by Embassy statement and inability to have anyone from AG office return calls. Been leaving messages for over 2 weeks.....

Thanks for any help.

Info from US Embassy in Thailand states the following  on the Embassy website:

"This last step is important if you wish to register your marriage in the United States.
NOTE: The U.S. Embassy DOES NOT register marriages and neither do we keep copies of
individuals’ marriage certificates. To register your marriage in the United States, you need
to  contact the office of the Attorney General of your state of residence in the United States."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You will never need to register your marriage in the USA.  The only thing you will ever need but may never need except when filing the petition, is your marriage certificate.  There is no National registry of marriages in the USA like there is in other countries.  Eventually, your visa category will indicate it was based on marriage to a US Citizen and to whom.  That visa will be permanently glued to a page of your passport.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

thanks for information.

any idea why US Embassy Bangkok has that info listed on their website?

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/marriage_package.pdf

link number 6 highlight yellow

Edited by Kat&J
added link to US Emabssy Bangkok

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:38 AM, Kat&J said:

Recently married in Thailand.

Embassy states must register in USA with AG of state..

****QUESTION...Is this registration with AG needed if applying for a CR-1/IR-1?

Does the CR-1/IR-1 Application and Visa notify the USA that I'm married? Confused by Embassy statement and inability to have anyone from AG office return calls. Been leaving messages for over 2 weeks.....

Thanks for any help.

Info from US Embassy in Thailand states the following  on the Embassy website:

"This last step is important if you wish to register your marriage in the United States.
NOTE: The U.S. Embassy DOES NOT register marriages and neither do we keep copies of
individuals’ marriage certificates. To register your marriage in the United States, you need
to  contact the office of the Attorney General of your state of residence in the United States."

Its says IF you wish to register. 

Timeline
On 9/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, Ning said:

Its says IF you wish to register. 

yes it does say this.

Why would they put this on their website under instructions for marrying in Thailand if it wasn't needed?

confusing

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kat&J said:

yes it does say this.

Why would they put this on their website under instructions for marrying in Thailand if it wasn't needed?

confusing

Are you just being argumentative?  It's something you can do if you want.  It isn't needed.  That's why the sentence starts with "If..."

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Are you just being argumentative?  It's something you can do if you want.  It isn't needed.  That's why the sentence starts with "If..."

of course I'm NOT being argumentative.

I'm trying to understand why the USA Embassy put that step in their instructions for marrying in Thailand if it is not required

according to the responses here. it is not required.

perhaps the embassy should state that it isn't required.. however it is poorly written. why would someone tell someone that they could do something that isn't required??

Edited by Kat&J

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kat&J said:

of course I'm NOT being argumentative.

I'm trying to understand why the USA Embassy put that step in their instructions for marrying in Thailand if it is not required

according to the responses here. it is not required.

The Embassy website does not indicate it is required.  I agree that the wording can be confusing.  Nobody here can answer your question about why it is written that way.  We can only tell you it is not necessary.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Just now, pushbrk said:

The Embassy website does not indicate it is required.  I agree that the wording can be confusing.  Nobody here can answer your question about why it is written that way.  We can only tell you it is not necessary.

Thanks!

:)

That is what i need. To make certain that required steps are completed!

Thanks again!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kat&J said:

Thanks!

:)

That is what i need. To make certain that required steps are completed!

Thanks again!

I gave you that information 35 hours and several posts ago.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

I gave you that information 35 hours and several posts ago.

yes you did. however. no one has been able to answer why the embassy wrote that.. also until the other person answered it was you alone.

single source information not as good as multiple source

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kat&J said:

yes you did. however. no one has been able to answer why the embassy wrote that.. also until the other person answered it was you alone.

single source information not as good as multiple source

It is if the other source is wrong.  There is a suggestion in my signature block you might want to follow. ;)

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.