LoveAlways2

Name change while ROC pending ??

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I will try to be brief. I recently got divorced. I am in the process of sending my divorce decree to USCIS (California Service Center) to change my ROC application from Joint to Divorce waiver because it is still pending, I am guessing it will take a few more months to be processed since I am a September 2016 filer and I guess since I got divorced in the middle of it I will probably get called for an interview.

My question is, I requested to change my name back to my maiden name on my divorce. Can I go and change it now to the SSA? or should I wait until my ROC is processed and change it in the green card first? 

I am at a lost with all the things going on in my life right now... so thanks for any help :)

AOS:

Sent AOS Package: Feb 2014

Received Green Card: September 2014

ROC:

Sent ROC Package: Sep 2016

Approved: Feb 2018 

N400:

Filed: 7/9/19 online

Bios: 7/29/19

Interview: 12/10/19

Oath: 01/07/2020

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, SadStories said:

Hi. I will try to be brief. I recently got divorced. I am in the process of sending my divorce decree to USCIS (California Service Center) to change my ROC application from Joint to Divorce waiver because it is still pending, I am guessing it will take a few more months to be processed since I am a September 2016 filer and I guess since I got divorced in the middle of it I will probably get called for an interview.

My question is, I requested to change my name back to my maiden name on my divorce. Can I go and change it now to the SSA? or should I wait until my ROC is processed and change it in the green card first? 

I am at a lost with all the things going on in my life right now... so thanks for any help :)

I got divorced before ROC and changed my name after I submitted the I-751, FWIW.

I changed it at the SSA first, then DL, etc. but haven't changed my GC yet because I want it to match my passport and can't update my passport because my divorce isn't final in Brazil yet.

18 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

I got divorced before ROC and changed my name after I submitted the I-751, FWIW.

I changed it at the SSA first, then DL, etc. but haven't changed my GC yet because I want it to match my passport and can't update my passport because my divorce isn't final in Brazil yet.

OK thanks for the response! So I can change it now and it won't affect my pending application. When I send my divorce decree I want to request to see if approved, they would send me the GC with my current legal name. I know that if they don't I would have to pay another fee to have it fixed. I am sending all documents soon and I just hope someone there can put them together. 

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 9/13/2017 at 7:30 AM, SadStories said:

OK thanks for the response! So I can change it now and it won't affect my pending application. When I send my divorce decree I want to request to see if approved, they would send me the GC with my current legal name. I know that if they don't I would have to pay another fee to have it fixed. I am sending all documents soon and I just hope someone there can put them together. 

Hey I’m in a similar situation. Do you have any updates on your post? 

10 minutes ago, msdynamite said:

Hey I’m in a similar situation. Do you have any updates on your post? 

Hi, 

Yes, I tried to change my name, so I went to the SSA office with my divorce papers and they told me that I could not change my name until immigration changed it. So I need to wait until my ROC is processed. I did send in my divorce decree stating that I was going back to my original name. 

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

Timeline
7 minutes ago, SadStories said:

Hi, 

Yes, I tried to change my name, so I went to the SSA office with my divorce papers and they told me that I could not change my name until immigration changed it. So I need to wait until my ROC is processed. I did send in my divorce decree stating that I was going back to my original name. 

That’s what I thought. Thank you very much for your quick response. It saves me a long trip to the SS office. I guess I just have to wait ;)

have they responded to you after sending in the decree?

Edited by msdynamite

On 12/18/2017 at 11:42 AM, msdynamite said:

That’s what I thought. Thank you very much for your quick response. It saves me a long trip to the SS office. I guess I just have to wait ;)

have they responded to you after sending in the decree?

They have not. I will probably call soon to see what is going on. 

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

Timeline
1 minute ago, SadStories said:

Thanks again. That gives me a good idea what to expect. Good luck to you. I hope it’ll all be ok!

• 5 months later...
Timeline
On 12/20/2017 at 8:54 AM, SadStories said:

Hey..I hope I don’t bother you but I just saw that they approved you. Congrats. Do you mind telling me if they called you for an interview and if your new greencard came with the new name on it?

thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.