AussieGuy12

Duty Tax cost? Looking to bring in Wine for a wedding

2 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I have some friends who are looking to bring in some wine for a wedding, but I think it will be over the 1L limit into the USA.

Does anyone know how much the CBP charges for excess alcohol. We are looking at it will be 7L between 3 travelers.

Thank you,

12/16/2017 - Married

1/06/2018 - AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) Sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox 

1/10/2018 - AOS Package "Delivered" at Chicago Lockbox - After 2 delivery attempts.

1/12/2018 - Official Priority Date.

1/17/2018 - NOA1 electronic copy received - 4 Email and Text notifications (12:30am EST)

1/22/2018 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

1/26/2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received - 2/9/18 (For I-485/I-765)

2/09/2018 - Biometrics completed - Charlotte office - Very efficient!

5/30/2018 - Notification of i-485 Interview scheduled 

6/4/2018 - Interview notice arrived in Mail (July 9)

6/4/2018 - Called to request transfer case to Seattle (Moving June 25)

6/14/2018 - I-765 - Card is being Produced (Day 156)

6/21/2018 - EAD Card delivered (USPS tracking sent 2 days earlier)

6/28/2018 - Confirmation of Interview Cancellation

3/08/2019 - Re-Applied for AP/EAD extension (Exp Date: 6/13/2019)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is what it says at the CBP website.  Since this is not for commercial purposes, there may not be an issue, but the people bringing it must be over 21 and since it is more than 1L each, they will need to declare it and it may be subject to a duty.  On a personal note, I took a trip to Australia several years ago and brought back three bottles of wine for myself..  I declared it at my POE (LAX), and the Customs officer waived me through with no duty requirement.

Good Luck!

Can I bring (carry in my baggage) back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?

Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more.  Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the Port of Entry.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject toduty and Federal Excise Tax when accompanying you into the United States. Note:  Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only as actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

It is illegal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.

State laws and regulations vary widely from state to state, and may be more restrictive than federal regulations. States often have restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought in that applies only to the residence of that State. Generally, people transiting through a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change. You can check with the Alcohol Beverage Control Board of that state to find out what their policies are.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it.  A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less.

Note: The above information is applicable to homemade wine and follows the same procedure as store bought wine. The bottles should be properly labeled.

If you have any further questions on importing, please contact TTB's International Affairs Division at 202-453-2260or IAD@ttb.gov

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-(including-homemade-wine)-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.